#17

"But what if my heart does not belong to Gaius?"

The question came from a girl of no more than 7 years. Her light brown hair was being pulled back by a maid to reveal her soft brown eyes and her worried expression. Her skin was a  porceline colour, appearing lighter due to the dark blue of the fabrics she wore.

"Princess Jane. Its not your choice. You should know this by now. Alot of noblemen and women dont get a choice in their marriage partner." The maid replied as she placed a small headdress on the young girl.

"I understand. But it just seems quite foolish to spend your life with someone you dont like. Or to be engaged to someone you never met." The princess replies.

"Miss Jane, tis your fathers wish for you to be wed to Lady Gillian's son." The maid states as she leads the princess to a carriage where her father was waiting.

Jane climbs into the carriage and the coachman sets off, heading to sherwood.

~~

The carriage ride stops, hooveprints faltering. The door swings open to reveal the princess abd her father, who get out. A young boy steps forward, being urged to by his mother, and takes the girl's hand. He quickly kisses it, before hasyily dropping his hand and immediately wiping his mouth, whilst the girl just rolls her eyes.

The boy had hair as black as coal and eyes of a brown hue. His skin was fair, but still darker than the princess', making her hand appear almost white in his.

"Gaius. Introduce yourself." His mother, Gillian, commands.

"Fine." He huffs, turning to the princess. "Im Gais Gisborne or whatever." He says with a stiff bow.

"That is quite impolite phrasing sir." The princess replies

"As if you would know." Gaius rolls his eyes.

"Anyhow, my name is Princess Jane. However, you are permitted to call me Jane." The girl states with an elegant curtsy.

"Oh im permitted am i?" Gaius says sarcastically.

"Gaius!" His mum exclaims.