Your Lies Broke Us

Mari's Point Of View

Shutting my eyes against the blinding light of the Sun, I whimpered along with my wolf as we felt our mate pull away emotionally. 'What's happening?' I whispered to my wolf as she whined loudly.

My wolf ignored me as I frantically fought against myself. Leaves crushing under feet filled my ears as I rose my head to the edge of the woodline. Staring, my eyes met with the familiar and comforting brown eyes of my mate, but he quickly pulled them away from mine, shaking his head in what appeared to be disappointment.

"Ryker?" I whispered his name, confused out of my mind as he took another step back, farther from my line of sight.

"Mari?" Somebody answered, my heart swelling before quickly dropping as I discovered it wasn't Ryker. Whimpering, I watched as blond hair stepped out of the shadows before emerging into the clearing completely. My brother's eyes were guarded and cold, not warm and friendly like they usually were.

"Ryker?" I tried again, secretly hoping he simply hadn't heard me the first time, but I guess that wasn't the case. I felt part of me leave with him as he turned on his heel and simply walked away. Worry and sorrow consumed my wolf who cried and begged me, pleading to go to her mate.

"Mari it's no use. He already knows." Gunner said, his voice tight, nearly choked like it honestly hurt him to usher the words to me.

Widening my eyes, I openly gaped at my brother. Angrily, I snarled at him from my kneeling position on the ground. "You told him?" I nearly screamed at him, before my voice softened drastically. "Why?" I nearly cried at the thought and now reality of Ryker knowing only half of the story.

"He had the right to know Mari." Gunner replied, his eyes stone cold as they bore holes into my skull since I refused to make eye contact with him.

"How could you do that to me? I'm your sister!" I whisper yelled, my voice breaking as my wolf panicked.

"It's the truth." He answered simply, turning his head away from me and to Ryker's retreating figure.

"You know what you told him wasn't the truth. There's more to that story that you told him, and you know it!"

"That's where you're wrong Mari." He replied, stepping a step closer to me, a malicious smile tugging on his lips. His eyes guarded, he whispered half heartily to me. You know why I did it."

Ryker's Point Of View

"Ryker?" I heard Mari whisper, her voice cracking as she stared directly at me, as if nothing was wrong. Shaking my head, I noted how silent my wolf was. Usually he'd be all over the fact of how close our mate was, but now he seemed to be broken, much like I am right now.

Shaking my head at her, I turned away from her so she wouldn't see me cry. My chest ached with every shake of my head, but even more when I turned around and began walking away.

How could she do that to me? My wolf whined softly as I bit my lip, the tears running down my cheeks. Covering my eyes with my hands, I leaned my back against the bark of a tree and slid down until I was sitting on the ground. My Mate, the one I'd die to protect, hates me. More tears formed as I recalled everything I thought we were. Believing a lie where I thought she loved me. Was the only reason we were together was because of the mate bond?

Whimpering softly, I drowned out her voice as I wished I could take it all back. 'I should of left a year ago.' I thought to my wolf who was silent a moment before responding.

'I agree.' He whispered back, his voice broken, nothing like the dominate wolf he used to be. Turning my head, I caught the last few rays of the sun on my face before quickly standing and shifting into my chestnut brown wolf. Ignoring myself, I allowed my wolf to take control as we began to run. Running past trees, leaping over roots and holes, never once stopping. Slowly, I began to move at a slow jog, my nose to the ground as I followed the familiar territory I used to call home. How I ever did, was beyond me. Stopping at the boundary, I stopped short, contemplating going back but shook my head at the thought.

'Let's go.' My wolf replied, before we began running again, far out of Mari's territory, and farther from my heart I left behind.