Two Stars

Chapter Eighteen

And so it turns out my wrist was broken, after it was x-rayed then set by a plaster cast, Just like the one Jasper had , though luckily for me the bone was broken in my hand rather than in my wrist as we had presumed so only my hand and the joint of my wrist was covered in plaster, wrapped in pink.

Waiting in the maternity section of the hospital I felt out of place. The waiting room contained three other families. Each couple were happily smiling, anticipating the next update on their coming child. Each of the other women looked much fuller than I did, my only difference to normal was that I had a slight indent, that was all. I certainly didn't feel like the baby was really there. I wanted to feel I wasn't dreaming.

There was a complete family sitting across from us. A young family had brought their older daughter with them, judging by the size of the mother the child hadn't known for very long. The little girl wasn't even school aged but already she seemed to understand and love the baby she would soon be sharing her parents with. Across to the side sat a young girl, maybe only in her mid-teens. She was alone, cradling the growing bump beneath her skin. She looked nervous and so very alone. I was lucky, I had m Jasper. I would never have to be alone unlike this girl.

"It'll take time," Jasper said softly, "Baby steps, that's what we have to use, simple baby steps and we'll get there in the end."

Two of the couples were called through, including the one with an older child. They had the perfect family already. I knew I had wanted that, I wanted us to have the perfect family I didn't know if we would ever have the dream that Rosalie had always wanted but now we were one step closer. I took Jasper's hand discretely. He smiled quickly, glancing at me,

"Alice Cullen?" A tall thin female doctor called standing with a clipboard, dressed in a smart-casual suit-like combo, called.

"Whitlock," I muttered under my breath. Jasper smiled once as we got to our feet and followed the doctor down the corridor and through a green door.

The walls of the typical examination room were covered in posters advertising all types of health in mother's and young children. The walls were painted a contrasting peach color, unusual for a hospital. Dr Andrews sat across from Jasper and I and smiled, her smile was genuine unlike most doctors.

"So, Your Father informed me about your little surprise, I know it can feel strange for you at the moment. Actually the same thing happened to me with my first child. I only discovered the pregnancy late and I found that I couldn't think. If you have any questions, it doesn't matter if they you think they seem silly, believe me I've heard everything."

I was already beginning to like this person, she was so understanding. It was like speaking to Esme, you could tell she was a mother. She was gentle and loving.

"I would like to do a general ultrasound and then the height and weight measurements, judging by the plaster on your hand your Father was right when he said you might have broken a bone, he phoned me later to mention your fall and to investigate the chance you might not have enough calcium.

“If you are not eating enough of any vitamin then the baby will automatically receive those vitamins, in other words if you do not get enough for both you and your baby, you are missing out. Not having enough calcium would mean it gets extract from your bones, making them weaker, possibly the reason you broke your wrist."

I had never thought of anything like that, the chances I could hurt the baby. All the things we had read before, about what I should and should not do hadn't come back till that moment. The doctor excused herself from the room to find out which room she was taking us to in order to conduct the ultrasound.