Escape

Chapter Twenty-One

I hissed instinctively at the woman in front of me, I had never expected this, and how could I trust her after what she'd done to my family.

"He said this'd happen but you have no time to argue, and give me the boy," she said quickly, her voice bitter.

"Why?" I asked, tightening my grip on EJ.

"Well unless you haven't noticed we don’t have much time to get out of here an going by the knowledge that, that," she nodded towards my stomach, "isn't just a ball shoved up your top, you'll move faster without him,"

"How do I know you won't hurt him?" I challenged, she rolled her eyes,

"If I were here to hurt any of you I'd have done it already. Now hurry up!" she hissed back.

She was right, if I didn't trust her now our chances of escape would be gone in seconds. We were defeated, I handed EJ to her and she nodded,

"Gracias."

We ran through the corridor, Maria seemed to know where she was going although I was clueless until we reached the elevator; we were heading for the side entrance. Once in the metal-doored elevator she turned to me again.

"We must stay together once we are outside, the area is brimming with new-borns- I should know, I put them there. If you get lost you get eaten," she was very blunt.

"I don't understand why you're here," I defied, unwilling to follow her blindly. She pushed a finger to her lips just as the doors pinged open.

A rabid young male vampire, with scraggly hair and old Converse trainers that had holes in the toes, came staggering along the corridor, I loosened my hair, letting it slide over my shoulders and pulled Renesmee close. It caught our scent clearly. The tall male sniffed the air and paused, turning menacingly towards us. Maria snarled at the new-born and grabbed my wrist pulling Nessie and I after her,