The end is the Beginning

Epilogue

The last thoughts I can give to this, which I have been working on for what feels like forever- the real story behind the cure and what happened to us, maybe it will never be any use to anyone but perhaps some time many, many years into the future it will be used in medical journals, as part of collections of stories put together in a book about ex-vampires. Perhaps it would be useful for the children we have now. This thought is strongest as I rest my laptop on a cushion on top of my second baby bump, housing who will be Jasper Edward Whitlock, my miniature.

Melody-Rose, most commonly Melody these days, toddles around on the carpet in front of me, pretending to serve tea to her teddy bears and a rag doll her Grandma gave her-which she was made by hand. She toddled about on her chubby legs, her stripy tights wrinkled around her ankles. She was intelligent for her age- but not in a way that was more than most children. She had visions, just like me, at first we had suspected she had some kind of epilepsy until it became clear she could show others like she did to me in the womb.

She had curls now, like her Father and her baby-blue eyes had been replaced by his brown ones, wide eyes that showed much life beyond her years. She stopped, frozen as she heard a car approach, then footsteps. "Daadee!" she yells, running towards the door on teetering legs.

"Alice, I'm home."

Life

'The capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity and continual change'

Life meant so much more. Now life was beautiful, life was real.

Watching two cells becoming thousands was life. Watching those thousands become named and being able to give the name a face, to make an identity. The identity of my daughter who was growing up so fast, she had learned so much from her first smile to her first steps; life was precious.

Life was why she was here why, soon, her little brother would be here also- and he was certainly growing.

Esperansa

Spanish, meaning hope. A word that, until you've experienced the need for such, you'll never understand. Hope is the reason our children exist, the one at my feet, the one inside me and the two in heaven. Without hope I wouldn't have been together, without hope I would die, hope kept me alive six years ago, hope made Melody a big sister. Hope had made our lives evolve. Maria's words had been brilliant. They were the most inspiring last words someone has spoken.

Life and hope. The foundations of our children's lives, the things they would be taught all through were three simple words. Love, life, hope

Amor. Vida. Esperansa.