Chapter 26

In the middle of the night, Sweeney couldn't sleep but only look at his wife. Her arms were wrapped around him, head on his chest and his arms were around her.

He slowly moved the hair which covered her face and looked at her. She looked so peacefully asleep.

He still loved her even if she doesn't. After all, he did say that he couldn't live without her, that he wanted to be with her forever. He couldn't believe that she actually stopped loving him. Her! Nellie Lovett! The woman he married , the woman who changed his life and the one who showed him another chance. It stabbed his heart to think about all the things he did for her. He escaped the hospital just to see her again, he traveled so far and so long for her. His heart shattered of all these thoughts. He felt the sadness inside of him grow and now he couldn't keep them in anymore.

So, he sobbed right then and there but it wasn't too loud to wake Nellie. She was still sleeping.

He felt tears rolling down his face but he just kept it as quiet as possible to not wake Nellie. He held her closer and cried himself to sleep.

•••

I woke up feeling arms around my figure. I flickered my eyes open and saw that it was Sweeney. Oh thank god! I thought that it was all a dream.He was still sleeping and sleeping at last.

He must've been tired of all the times he spent on trying to find me. I shifted a bit and caressed his chest on my hand.

I looked at him again and caressed his hair. To be honest, I think I still have feelings for him. Deep in my heart, I could still feel that unexplainable feeling inside me. Secretly, I think I still love him but I'm just not sure if I could show it to him again.

I wonder what it would be like to feel his lips again. I missed that passionate feeling on my mouth. And no other person could give it to me except him.

I leaned closer to him that our lips were only an inch apart but then I heard something from downstairs.

I turned at the direction of the door and stood up. When I went outside, I saw Rosalie preparing breakfast cheerfully with a smile pasted on her lips.

I remembered that I haven't told her that he came back. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she'll find out.

I felt my lips curl up in a smile and went down the stairs. She turned at my direction when the floor squeaked.

" Oh morning, Nellie. " she smiled at me and continued her work. " How are you doing this morning? " she asked but I didn't reply.

A wide grin was still on my lips. Rose noticed this and looked at me again. " Nellie, what's going on? What happened? Is there something you're not telling me? " she asked in a worried tone when I walk towards her happily and held her hands.

" Yes! " I said happily with the grin on my lips. " Well, what is it, Nell? You've never been this happy before." she took the tray with two cups of tea on it and headed for the table.

" Sweeney came back! " I said cheerfully with the grin never escaping my lips. Rose was suddenly frozen and dropped the tray on the floor making a shattering sound.

I backed away a little when I gripped my dress and the grin disappeared. I looked at her with her back facing me.

She turned around with her jaws dropped and her expression shocked. " You've got to be joking, Nellie! " she said when still in shock.

I walked towards her happily and held both her hands. " no no no no. I'm not lying. He really came back! " I told her happily. She just looked down and her mouth was closed again. She looked like she was thinking.