Chapter 23

I was eating my breakfast when Rosalie Hewitt came in.

Rosalie was one of my closest friends back in the old days. We're just the same age but she already has a child of her own.

I'm not sure if she's married. I've never seen her with any men before. Her hair's colored brown but it's almost blonde. She had brown eyes.

" Morning, Nellie. " she patted my shoulder to make me look at her.

" Good morning, Rose. " I greeted her with a smile as she sat down across me.

" Thank you again for making me stay here. " " Oh, it's nothing. I'd do anything for a friend like you. " she said as she took a spoon from her mouth.

This made me smile. " So, I heard you got married again and that you were living in a small cottage near the beach. How was that? " she asked me when she rested her head on her palms when still chewing a bit in her mouth.

I smiled slightly at this. " It was nice. Actually, my husband bought the house for us. " I said as I wiped my hands with a blanket.

" Aww. That's sweet. " she said with a sweet smile. " Yes. " I said kindly. " Who's the lucky man? " she said cheerfully.

This made my smile fade away.

" Sweeney Todd. " I said when trying to manage a smile. " Wait a minute. Isn't that the barber who works up your shop? " she asked me, seriously.

" That's him. " I said when slicing my food. " That must be quite a story. So, why'd you leave your home when your happy with him? and where is he now? " she asked curiously.

" He was on a business trip and he's been gone for so long. I noticed this. One day, a letter came. He.. uh.. had an accident. So, he never came back. " I said sadly.

" Oh, Nellie. " she said as if trying to comfort me and held my hand.

" That's not the end of it. After a few weeks, I miscarried our child. The doctor said I was two months. " I said looking down.

" Nellie, I'm sorry. " Rosalie said as she took her hand away and rubbed my shoulder.

I gave her a fake smile and continued eating. " You can stay as long as you want. " she said as she got up and walked towards the kitchen.

" Thank you, Rosalie. " I said as I looked at her and smiled. She turned around and smiled too.

" No problem. " And with that, she went out.

I was unpacking my clothes when I noticed something that there was something different from the others. It was Sweeney's vest.

I lied down and stared at it. I suddenly had the urge to caress it as I furrowed my eyebrows.

I reached for it slowly and placed my palm on it calmly. It was then when I had a flashback.

I remembered how we walked on the beach as Sweeney kissed my hand and never looked at me like that.

※※※

How he caressed my cheek as I held his wrist and he felt bad for 'hurting' me the night before.

↭↭↭

As we carved a heart with our names inside it and our hands above each other and exchanged smiles.

How we fell to the ground below the tree where we had a picnic together and laughed at the little accident.