Chapter 29

I hear someone calling my name with the voice so familiar. Suddenly, a bright light flashed and I see a train heading for a cliff and Nellie running to it while calling out my name.

She was carrying her skirt and I see her hugging me when panting. I see her running in a cold dark place and it looked a lot like fleet street.

Only, it was too dusty and the ground looked like it died. I see myself waking up in a hospital with most of my bones broken.

I see Nellie crying under the rain and screaming my name. I see Nellie again running and she fell to the ground protecting her head from the train that crashed in front of her.

" NOOOOOOO! "

I immediately sat up. Panting from a nightmare. I looked around and was relieved when I was just in the bedroom with Nellie on the other side sleeping peacefully.

I calmed my panting and buried my face in my hands then slid it through my hair. I placed both my feet on the ground and stood up.

I walked with soft footsteps and stopped when I was in front of the bed. I watched as Nellie's chest rised up and down.

Her face was in side view and her head between her arms. Her legs were tangled together in a perfect triangle.

I observed her for a moment while my hands were on my hips. I then walked to the window and leaned my arm on it.

I was thinking, thinking of what happened in the past. How our relationship grew. How everything turned into a cabinet that was full of books, books that were untouched.

I hear Nellie moving on the bed. I turned my head and saw that her position changed.

Her legs were on top each other and so were her arms that were under her head. She looks like someone kissed her in her sleep.

I gulped and walked towards her then sat on a chair just beside the bed without taking my eyes off of her. I stared at her for who knows how long and took a strand of hair that covered her face.

She moved a bit of this and I moved my hand away and then flickered her eyes open.

" Sweeney? " she shifted as she blinked her eyes a few times to make her vision clear. I sat up straight and looked at her. " What are you doing out of bed? " asked Nellie.

I thought for a minute. " I couldn't sleep. " I simply said when I avoided her eyes. She scratched her nose before she said another word.

" Well, you have to try, love. It's entirely late. " she furrowed her eyebrows to see clearer. I didn't reply. I just shifted a bit.

" What's wrong? " she noticed me. I glared at her. " I had a nightmare. " I jerked an eyebrow. I then looked away.

" What was it about? " she sat up. I gave her a glance. " About the past. " I looked at her. She breathed in and exhaled heavily.

" Come here. " she gestured me to lie next to her. I looked at the bed for a moment and at her. She raised her eyebrows. I gave her a smirk and lied next to her.

My back was facing her because I was facing the window. I feel her caress my shoulder. " Let me sing you a song. " she whispered so close on my ear. I nodded slightly.

[ sings softly ]

♪You taught me the courage of stars before you left ♪

♪How light carries on endlessly even after death ♪

♪With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite ♪

♪How rare and beautiful it is to even exist ♪