1: Relationships

"Please Aaron. Just go get it for me."

My boyfriend, Aaron Jackson, sighs. "Okay. But you owe me."

"Of course." I watch him leave.

"You're making him get your lunch for you again, aren't you?" My best friend, Maria Baxton, says.

"Yes." I said innocently.

"Isn't he tired of that?" My other friend, Jakob Stalter, asked.

"I'm sure he is. But he just has to live with it. I mean, we've been together since freshman year. If he were truly tired of it, he would've said something by now." We were seniors now.

"Here." Aaron brings me a plate of chicken nuggets with carrots, cherry tomatoes, and a milk.

"Thanks, babe." I said, holding his hand after he sits in the seat next to me.

"You two are too cute. Seriously, Homecoming King and Queen, anybody?" Maria smiled.

"Ha. No, I don't think so." I laugh before taking a bite of a chicken nugget.

"Why not?" Aaron asks. His beautiful blue eyes stare at my brown ones. He had dirty blond hair that was always slicked to the side. I had long, chocolate brown hair with long bangs pushed to the side.

"I'm not popular." I answer Aaron.

"It's not necessarily about popularity." Jakob says.

"Please, it's always about popularity." I roll my eyes.

"Even if it is, you'd both have a better chance at winning than I'd have of getting one vote." Jakob was openly gay, the three of us were his only friends.

Jakob had green eyes, hair slicked up and the color of the sun. He was always so kind, it's hard to believe we're the only ones who like him.

"Hey, we'd vote for you." I said.

Maria has amber eyes with hair that came down to her shoulders, the color of an almond.

"Okay, so I'd have three votes. But nobody else would vote for me."

"No worries, Jakob. I wouldn't get past three votes either. Assuming you'd all vote for me." Maria says.

"Of course we will." Aaron says.

"I don't know, Maria. You might get at least four."

"Huh?" She asks, her eyes showing interest.

"Jimmy is totally in love with you."

"Jimmy?!" Maria exclaims, a little too loudly.

"Shh!" I shush, smiling.

"Jimmy?" She asks quieter.

"Yeah. You should keep an eye on him, he's constantly sneaking glances over here." She turns casually to where Jimmy is sitting, then turns back around.

"No way. He's too popular."

I shrug. "I know when someone's crushing. He looks at you the way Jakob looks at Eddie."

"Hey!" Jakob says.

"Sorry."

I look to Aaron. "Do you think we could be Homecoming King and Queen?" I watch him as he thinks the question over.

"I don't see why not." He smiles at me, then presses his lips to the top of my head.

"Ew, get a room." Jakob jokes. We laugh.

"Psst." Someone whispers in my ear.

"Shh, we're taking a test." I whisper back. We were in the middle of Spanish class.

"Just take the note!" A girl named Gale snaps as she shoves it at me. I frown and take it from her.

It read, in Spanish; Por qué tu cara se ve así?

Why does your face look like that?

I turn around and glare directly at who it came from. He's pretending not to realize I'm looking at him. I throw it at the jerk sitting two rows behind me, and it hits him in the chest. He looks to me, surprised.

"What's you're deal, Daniels?"

"Stop harassing me." I whisper.

"I'm not doing anything!"

"Oh, so this isn't your note?" He smiled. "Wipe that damn smile off your face."

"Ah, there it is. It must be your mouth that makes your face look so bad." I was about to get up when I reminded myself that I'm in class, and supposed to be taking a test.

I turn back around, continuing to answer the questions. Suddenly, another paper hits my desk. I didn't want to open it, but yet I needed to know what he said this time.

Cómo están y Aaron saliendo nuevamente?

How are you and Aaron dating, again?

I wanted to turn around and punch him straight in the jaw, but instead I wrote;

Because we like each other.

He wrote back;

I doubt he actually likes you.

I crumple the paper and put it in my desk, continuing the test.

That was Percy Clark. He has been bullying me for as long as I can remember, but it got even worse in the fifth grade. He was so rude, everyday he would pick on me. From verbal name calling to physical tripping or pushing.

Aaron became like a bodyguard for me anytime Percy was around when I was with him. I could tell Percy was intimidated by Aaron. If you looked at the two of them, Percy may look scarier. He always wore leather, and he even had a tattoo on his left arm. But Aaron was more muscular. Percy was lean, still muscular, though.

Percy has black hair that he sometimes slicked back, to the side, and sometimes even forward, so it would hang down in front of his eyes. He didn't have long hair. Basically, if he slicked it forward, it would go down to the bottom of his eyes, and that was it. He was quite intimidating to look at, but he was just a little punk.

"Did Percy do anything?" Aaron asked when school was done for the day. We all walked each other to our houses, except Maria, who we walked to the bus stop.

"He just passed me some stupid notes."

"What did they say?"

"Nothing important. Just classic Percy." I answered.

"He didn't say anything about me this time?" Jakob asked. I shake my head. Percy loved to mess with Jakob almost as much as he loved to mess with me.

"No, he didn't say anything."

"I'll see you guys later." Maria says as she turns to go to the bus stop.

"See ya." I say, and then it's just the boys and I.

"If he really crosses the line, tell me immediately. I will pound some sense into that jerk, I swear to god." I had never heard Aaron say anything like this. It was both comforting and unsettling at the same time.

"Thanks, but he's just annoying. I don't think anyone will need to hit him." I said.

"Well, just in case, you know how to get to me." Aaron says, then waves goodbye as he walks into his house.

"Why do you think Percy is always pushing your buttons?" Jakob asked.

"He does more than push my buttons." I said. "But I have no clue. I really wish he would just stop. Either that, or he can just go away." Jakob chuckles.

"I hear that. I'll see you tomorrow, Lexi." He smiled.

"Bye, Jakob." I wave as he walks in his house.

I walk for another two blocks until I reach my own house.