7: Homecoming Night

That Friday at school, I avoided Percy for a whole new reason. It was just so awkward seeing him in the halls. We used to make faces at each other. Now the only face I see is the one he wore when he said he loved me. It made me shutter.

Jakob and Maria both noticed the way I was sneaking around the halls.

"Why are you acting like it's Mission Impossible, hiding behind corners to make sure Percy's not there?" Jakob asks.

"Yeah. You're being ridiculous, Lexi. Please just walk like a normal person." Maria said.

"Look! There's Jimmy!" Jakob yelled.

"Hide me!" Maria jumps behind us. When she hears us laughing, she comes out. "You're such a jerk!" she says as she punches Jakob's shoulder.

"Just showing Lexi she's not the only one on edge." Jakob laughs.

"I'm not on edge." I said once I gained my composure again.

"You are so on edge." Jakob says and Maria nods.

"You know what? I'm just going to think about homecoming all day today. That's all. Then I won't be worried about anything." I say, thinking about my dress.

"Good idea. I hope that works out for you." Maria says.

It didn't work. At all. It was still freaking me out what Percy said. I haven't seen him since that day.  But when I got home, I finally got excited for homecoming. If only it had worked at school.

"This dress is awesome." I said to Maria over the phone. "You will love it."

"I'm sure I will. And you'll love my dress. And my surprise...." She says, getting excited.

"Surprise? It's a good one, right?" I aksed.

"For sure." She responded.

"Ok, I'm headed that way." 

"Great! Can't wait!"

I slip on my dress and hurry to my car. My dress was a light blue color with white on the bottom. The straps were about the width of two fingers, and it went down to my ankles. My shoes were flats. I don't do heels. But, they were the same blue as my dress, with a white bow on the toe. I couldn't wait for Aaron to see me. I've never worn a dress like this around him. Only semi-formal dresses for dates or other dances.

"Lexi! You look great!" Jakob says when he sees me. 

"Thank you. You look pretty snazzy yourself." I say, taking notice of his fancy black tux with a red tie.

"Thanks."

"Is Maria here? Or Aaron?" I aksed.

"Aaron's not here yet. And Maria is..." Jakob is interrupted when Maria calls to us.

"Jakob! Lexi! Hi!" She says. 

At first I just saw her, but then I saw him. She had brought Jimmy. 

"Hi, Maria." I say, making eyes at her. 

But her dress, it was gorgeous. It was a golden color with sequins on the top. It went down to her thighs, and was strapless. 

"Wow! I love your dress!" She says to me.

"Are you kidding? Look at your dress!" I said. 

Jimmy and Jakob awkwardly acknowledge each other.

"Is Aaron here?" Maria asks.

"Not yet. I don't know-" I'm cut off by my phone buzzing in my purse. "It's Aaron." I said.