▍EIGHT

they found themselves in a small café that had an outside patio to it. yoongi decided that outside would be best so that jimin wouldn't feel suffocated around so many people. they had ordered their food and sat down when they got it, jimin staring at it silently.

yoongi smiled. "it won't hurt ya," he joked, taking a bite out of his sandwich. "this place has really good food. it's a nice spot to come and get work done."

"speaking of work," jimin began, picking at his sandwich, "what do you do?"

yoongi chewed on his sandwich as his eyes met with jimin's for a moment. he almost had forgotten about his job since he was technically still on his vacation he took for his birthday. once he swallowed, he spoke up. "well, i'm a detective, of course."

jimin's jaw dropped onto the floor as he stared at the upbeat, almost airy man in front of him. he didn't give off any vibes of authority, let alone that of a detective. he hardly even looked old enough to be one. yoongi could pick up on how jimin reacted and he laughed loudly at him.

"yeah, i get that reaction a lot! i don't look like much but i'm well respected at my office."

"well, what's a detective like you doing here?" jimin asked.

"hm? well i live here. i haven't been to work because i took a vacation around my birthday. it was actually when i first found you."

jimin looked dumbfounded. "you came to lover's paradise on your birthday?"

yoongi nodded with a sigh and sat back in his chair. "my friend dragged me there after i told him i didn't want to go. but i'm almost thankful that he did. i can't really let all of this off the hook."

that's when jimin started to get really nervous. to begin with, he couldn't have yoongi telling the police what happened there. if he did, there was no telling what the boss would do. he'd go to any lengths to keep jimin's mouth shut. the next thing was, jimin wasn't sure if yoongi's kindness was true or if it was just to get jimin to help him and that alone started to cause jimin to want to get away. he didn't know what yoongi could do or if he could even protect him, so why should he stay?

jimin let his head lower as he spoke quietly to the other man. "um, i think i should get going. i wouldn't want to be a burden anymore to you. thank you for your kindness, it means a lot." but before jimin could get up and run away, yoongi chuckled and gained the other's attention.

"if you're thinking i'm using you for information, think again. i genuinely wanted to help you in that moment and i still do." that's when he felt a hand holding his. it was warm and soft, the touches almost light like a feather. the young man couldn't help the tears forming in his eyes as he looked at the detective across from him. "i know you're scared, but i promise i'll do everything in my power to keep you safe. nothing will happen to you. you can trust me."

and for some reason jimin nodded. he was putting all of his trust in this man, even though he didn't know anything about him. he was afraid—afraid of everything that could happen—but the warm hands from yoongi managed to calm his nerves just enough to let him stay.