i give up

¨Go fish.¨

¨...Do you have any sevens?¨

¨Nyeh?! Maki, how'd you know?¨

¨Because you're cards are face up on the table. Do you even know how to play Go Fish?¨

Shuichi sighed inwardly.

Him, Maki, and Himiko were spending their lunch break playing...Go Fish.

Shuichi and Maki would have rather done almost anything than play cards, but Himiko's usual playmates, Tenko and Rantaro, weren't around. Tsumugi was shopping with Tenko and Rantaro was walking around the city with Kaito. In fact, the only people who came back to spend their lunch break here was them, Kokichi, and Miu. And the other two weren't joining them for...obvious reasons.

¨Nyeh. This game is too hard.¨ Himiko pouted, grabbing her cards.

¨That's because the two you play with always let you win.¨ Maki muttered.

They all jumped when the heard the door being kicked open.

¨SHUICHI, HOLY FUCK!¨ Miu stood in the doorway, her leg still in the air from the kick, and her eyes wild.

Maki glared at her.

¨Heeeeeeeeee!¨ She cringed. ¨S-Sorry to interrupt your s-super important Go Fish! But this is an emergency!¨

Shuichi stood up.

¨What's wrong? Is someone hurt?¨ He asked seriously.

¨No, worse!¨ Miu bit her thumb nervously. ¨M-My invention! It malfunctioned, and now it's loose in the hotel! Y-YOU HAVE TO HELP ME FIND I-IT!¨

¨Is it one of those inventions that everyone tells you not to make and you make anyway?¨ Maki asked coldly.

Miu pointed at her.

¨You bet your pretty little ass it is! AFTER ALL, I AM MIU IRUMA! MY INVENTIONS WILL SAVE-¨

¨We get it.¨ Himiko said, annoyed.

¨Miu...what kind of invention is this?¨ Shuichi asked.

Miu looked at him.

¨Ah...ah! Ah-haahh! Haaaah!¨ She whined.

¨Stop that. Do you want to die?¨ Maki asked her.

¨S-Sorry! Can't help it!¨ Miu cried. ¨Um...well...the invention...yes, um...my invention...well, it's-¨

A shrill scream made them all jump.

¨That came from Kokichi's room!¨ Shuichi started to run.

¨W-Wait! Um, Shuichi! You should know-¨ Miu started to call after him, but he was already gone.

¨So...what kind of invention was it?¨ Himiko asked her.

She reddened.

¨Well, it's, um...it's a tentacle machine.¨

A couple minutes earlier...

Kokichi was laying down in his bed, reading a book.

However, his mind was elsewhere.

Thinking about Shuichi again...He chided himself. Really, Kokichi?

He sighed inwardly and tried to focus on his book.

He glanced up when he heard the door knob turning.

¨Ah, Shuichi! Finally come to-¨ Kokichi stopped.

A small silver box with a black hole in the middle was in the doorway.

And in that black hole, in that small silver box...