Chapter 6

I make my way down twisted hallways and up so many flights of stairs till I reach room 501. The door is painted a dark color of red like blood and the doorknob is a dark silver. I reach down into both my pockets in my dark jeans and find a plain black key. I stick it through the key hole and turn the knob and carefully open the door like this isn't my own apartment... at the moment. I close the door behind me before I start looking around the large room. There is a long,black couch that rests right in front of a flat screen tv that's mounted up on the wall. A small table with two chairs sits next to a window on the far side of the room with a small kitchen that's off to the side. The bedroom seems to be separated by a long wall that extends out from another wall like an arm.

I walk behind the long wall and look at the bedroom. There is a small bedside table with a lamp on it next to the bed that has a dark red quilt. Two black double doors are next to the left side of the bed which I immediately know as the closet. A small smile seems to form on my face for the first time in awhile,and I laugh at knowing that i'm free for at least a short while. I sit down on the edge of the bed,and laugh a little from the excitement.

"I'm back." I say to myself "I'm home."

I look down at my hands and notice how big they are. They are no longer small,because I am not myself. I'm Christina. I knew that smile wouldn't last for long. I feel my muscles in my face relax as they slowly turn into a frown. A small tear escapes my eye and slides down my cheek till it's at the edge of my jaw bone. I close my eyes feeling it's presence then the feeling disappears and I feel something small and wet in the middle of one of my palms. I open my eyes after a moment and look down at it. I rub two fingers around in it and watch as it spreads over my skin then,just like me,disappears. That's seems to be who I am. I am like at tear that is here one moment then gone the next. When,it hits the floor some of it remains until it entirelly disappears and out of site.

I look away from my hands,and over to the closet doors. I need something to distract me so I won't really start crying,I think to myself.

I get up and walk over to the closet doors and open them. The first words that come out of my mouth is....

"OH MYLANTA."

My eyes grow wide as I look at all the short short black dresses that hang up in the huge closet. I look down at the floor to the shoes and notice that they're all high heels.

"Why didn't I not watch over her when I was dead?" I say to myself as the word prostitute gets glued to my brain.

I shake my head for a second as I try to get that image out of my mind,and I start looking through her clothes trying to find something that isn't,well,a dress. I look through all the lines of clothing until I find some black jeans and a tank top. I put them on and just decide to leave on the black combat boots that I already had on when I got here.

I walk into the living room and sit down on the couch just to rest for a moment. I tilt my head back and close my eyes,but I barely make it that far before I hear a loud knock on the door. I jump up quickly because of the loud pounding and my eyes dart around the room looking for a weapon of some sort. I close myeyes quickly and focusing on a gun until a location pops into my head. The closet. I run over to the closet and dig underneath a pile of dirty clothes until I find a small gun that is already loaded.

Another pound hits the door just as I run over to the door. I swing it open and jump back with the gun straight in front of me,ready to shoot whoever is that despirate for me to open my door. My eyesite goes foggy for a second until my vision clears. Tobias stands with his hands raised in the air with his eyes wide. My eyes also grow wide at the thought of me almost shooting Tobias. I'd never forgive myself if I did that. I would rather live in terrible pain and suffering for the rest of my life than shoot him.

"Tobias?" I say not realising that I haven't put the gun down.

"Christina,please put the gun down." he says slowly and carefully.

My eyes look down at the gun and I just drop it and jerk back like it's an explosive. The memory of shooting Will appears into my mind. I could still faintly smell the sceant of blood and sun dried bodies from that day. So much blood, pain and loss and so many lives gone.

I step back a few step still staring at the gun laying on the floor and I trip over something. I fall backwards onto the floor and Tobias runs to my side.

"Are you ok? I didn't mean to scare you or anything." he say while kindly helping me up.

"Yeah,um,you didn't scare me it was just...." I stop mid sentence because I remembered that he doesn't see me,he seem Christina.

"You don't have to tell me. We have all been in this position since the war against Erudite."

He looks away for a second and then back to me.

"I came to say that I was sorry. I shouldn't of yelled at you like that when you had saved me. Tris would have appreciated that you did." he says looking directly into my eyes. I sort of try to look away because I'm afraid he might see through my eyes. I don't want him to know who I am just yet.

"You don't ever have to apologize about that. I know exactly what it's like to lose someone you love,and to do anything just to be with them again." I say this time looking direct into his deep,dark,blue eyes. I want to tell him so badly that I am the girl who climbed the ferris wheel with him and helped him get through his fear landscape. I want to tell him so despirately but the only thing holding me bad is pain. If I can't come back into my original body,then I don't want him to see me as Christina because if he believes me, he will keep on hanging on to me. I want him to keep hanging on but not if I can't come back as my true self.

"I know." he says gulping, "Will was a good friend of Tris'. That's all I know about him,really. Other than that,I know that he was a great guy."

"Yeah,he was." I say looking away. I remember the last time I saw Will. He came to me just a day after my death and taught me and Uriah how to do some ghostly things like haunting. Him and Uriah are known for going on haunting sprees but I never joined. I was too busy watching Tobias weep over me.

We both stay quiet for a moment either looking at the floor or at the walls or some object in the distance before Tobias finally speaks.

"Do you want to go to lunch? I'll pay." he says looking at his watch. I look up at him with eagerness and reply "Yes."

He looks up at me with a smile on his face that I know is fake. Somehow,when I moved to Chrsitina's body, I also gained her same talent. Lie-detecting.

I would say something about the way he's smiling but I haven't seen him smile in awhile. I smile back also and decide to enjoy the short time that I may have him.

He walks over to the door and holds it open for me as I walk out and he walks up beside me. His fake smile actually turns into a true smile as we walk down the hallway toward the caffeteria.