9

"every night?"

"yes, every night for four weeks."

i stayed quiet, only talking when i had to. mom answered most of the questions.

"do you remember what you dream about?"

the doctor's attention was suddenly on me. i tried to avoid direct eye contact with him as i answered.

"it varies. sometimes i dream about ghosts, sometimes it's about murderers. but most of the time i don't remember them at all. they're always really scary, though."

"i see.."

the way he stared down at his clipboard intimidated me. hell, even the bright white colors on the wall intimidated me. his voice was deep. his eyes were narrow. i hated this.

"y/n, do you think you could step outside for just a moment? i'd like to have a word with your mother in private."

i furrowed my eyebrows, but did as he asked. mom looked worried.

as i sat outside the door in a chair against the wall, i stared down at the tile floors and listened to the ladies at the desk answer the phones. my heart beat in my chest, whereas my brain was completely still. i didn't know what to think of any of this. there wasn't anything wrong with me, was there?

i never told the doctor about my dream catcher. i was afraid he'd think i was crazy. i told mom not to tell him either, but she probably would.

eventually, mom emerged from the room with a solemn look on her face.

"let's go home."

i didn't know it'd be the last night i'd be sleeping in my own bed for awhile.