Chapter 22

Chapter 22

It had been a year since Zach died.

Today at physical therapy I walk for the first time. It was emotional. I started to cry because I was so happy. I was now on the side lines with Coach Kemp. He made me a student coach, this meant I was still part of the team even if I couldn't play. Richie made a great team captain by the way.  Good enough that last year we won the championship. I got a ring even though I wasn't on the team. They also gave a ring to Zach, it is in the case that his jersey is in. the case hangs in the field house under a large Raven.

I glanced back at the crowd. Dexter was sitting with some of his friends. Dean, Tony, and Gavin sat together with Tony's girlfriend Vanessa, yes, he finally got the girl. Dean and Tony didn't want to forgive Gavin but I told them that it was Dean's fault Gavin and I got close to begin with. I had fully forgiven Gavin for everything.

The night Gavin told me he didn't like me that way he said it was a lie. He did feel that way but was scared to admit it because he didn't want Dean to make us brake apart. He was scared and I understood.

I do believe him now, at first I wasn't too convinced. Now we are dating. I feel guilty about it. I still love Zach and I always will love him, Gavin says it is okay with him that he isn't my only love. Zach and I had something different. When I kissed him, I felt warm. When I kiss Gavin I feel butterflies. They are two different things that I don't understand.

"How are you today?" Richie asks me after the game.

"I walk without crutches for a few minutes."

He hugged me, "That is amazing. We will talk later I got to get going." As he ran to the field house he started flapping his arms and screaming, "Caw caw!"

He was never going to let me live that down.

Gavin found me and we went to his car.

"Gavin, I love you." I say randomly.

"I love you too." 

Mr. Baton was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole but I still worry he will get out and come for me and every one I love. I felt scared all the time. I brought the pocket knife Zach gave me everywhere I go. Just in case.

"You seem uneasy." Gavin whispers.

"I'm just thinking. Wait where are we going?"

Then I see it, the park. It has been a long time since he has taken me here. He helped me sit down in the swing. I felt the wind pick up. Gavin took off his jacket and put it on my shoulders. I pulled my arms through and stuck them in the pockets.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful your eyes are in the moon light?" 

"I'm not sure, maybe you should tell me again." I winked.

He smiled and kissed me. "You are so-" I didn't let him finish, I was too impatient and wanted to kiss him again.

I herd something then. I broke the kiss and looked around.

I saw a figure in the dark.

"Hello?" I called out as I stood. Gavin helped me up and he looked where I was looking. Quickly he placed himself in front of me.

"Who are you?" He said sternly.

The hooded figure turned and ran away. Gavin gabbed me and we left. He took me back to my house. I lay down in my bed. Gavin pulls the covers over us.

Mom hadn't been too thrilled when she found out I had a boy in my bed with out her knowledge but after me waking up screaming from nightmares she allowed it. I just had to keep my door open.

Gavin began reading and taking notes from his Phycology text book. I watch him as he scribbles down words and pushes his reading glasses back up his noise.

In the back of my mind I was always worried that he was dating me because he wanted to write an essay or something on me. He assured me that wasn't the case. He truly wanted to be with me. this time he wouldn't be paid by my brother.

Gavin and Dean don't really talk much. They have nothing to talk about. I know the glares they give each other behind my back then act friendly when I turn around. that part was hard.

I ended up distancing myself from Dean over this last year. He was too much like Zach. Not to mention it was incredibly hard to get down to the basement on crutches. He moved out a month and a half after I got out of the hospital. He said it was because he wanted to live under his own roof. I know he moved so that he wasn't constantly reminded of his sister who couldn't look at him with out falling into a burst of tears.

I roll over and lay down. That hooded figure in the night, who was he?

Was it Zack's dad wanting revenge? It couldn't be, he was in prison.

Maybe he sent someone for me.

Gavin puts away his book and glasses. He lays his arm around my waist. I don't fall asleep until I hear the light snores that come from my Spider Man.

In my dreams that song plays.

I remember being so mad at the world after my mom told me we were moving, but now I'm so happy we did. Yeah, I have had my ups and downs but Zach, Gavin, my brothers, and my friends were there to pull me through it.

So that was the story of a girl football player. And I was that football player.

The end.

📕📗📘📙
Authors Note:
😭😭
It's over!! I mean there is an epilogue but still.