Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Zach drops me off at Jessica's house with my dress still in the bag that the store hung it in. I knock on the front door of the house. Jessica opens the door with a towel wrapped around her head.

"Come on in, we need to get started." she was so excited. I had never seen her with out makeup until now and she was stunning.

First, she washes my hair in the sink then wraps it in a soft towel.

"Microfiber towels are better for frizz." She said, I didn't really know but I went with it.

Then Tara paints my nails while Jessica blow dries my hair. After Jessica finishes drying my hair she starts on her own hair. Tara already had her hair and makeup done when I got here because I may or may not have been forty minutes late.

Okay, yes, I was late. I blame Zach.

Jessica starts to do something to my hair, I don't know what because they won't let me look in the mirror. Tara begins on my makeup. We were singing and dancing around Jessica's room as we got ready. I had a lot of fun. That song I love came on again.

We slip into our dresses and shoes.

"Okay Dylan you can look in the mirror."

I turn around and gasp at the girl I see. My hair is curly my nails are white, I have white strappy heals, my eye shadow starts out white then goes to gray, then black. They were also able to cover the bruise near my mouth that formed from the football game last night. it wasn't a noticeable bruise so it covered easy.

My dress is my favorite thing on my body by far. Is it a short, bright red dress. The top was connected to the collar that went around my neck.

"Let's get our homecoming on!" Tara says after we finish with pictures.

The two girls had the same dress but Tara's was pink and Jessica's was purple. on their wrist was a bracelet that was a corresponding color to the others dress. Tara and Jessica didn't have dates. When I asked why they looked at each other and laughed, they said they didn't need a man to have fun.

When I walk into the gym everyone stops what they are doing and cheers. This was the first time I made an appearance since the football game. I see Zach turn around, when he sees me his jaw drops. I look down at the floor. He hadn't seen me in a dress. I have them but I only wear them in the spring and early summer.

"You look... amazing." Zack is in a black suit with a tie that is the same color as my dress.

"You don't look to bad yourself." I laugh. "Everyone is staring at us." I whisper.

"I know." He then leads me to a table in the corner of the gym and almost everyone goes back to doing their own thing and the music starts back up.

"Do you like my tie?" Zach asks, playing with it.

"I do. How did you know to get that color?" I as I straighten it back.

"Dean went in your room."

That song comes on and I don't have time to be mad at Dean. I pull Zach to the dance floor near Jessica and Tara. We all sing along to the popular song. Twice in one day I get to listen to the song. How lucky am I?

The song ends and a new one starts up. All the songs that they have played have been song that were upbeat and nothing you would grab that special someone and dance with them to. Soon a song fades out and everything is quiet.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"They are about to announce the homecoming king and queen." Jessica holds my hand and Tara's. We stand in the middle of the crowd.

"Your homecoming king" the principal opens an envelope, "is... Zachery Baton!" Then a spot light is put on Zach. We all scream like the girls we are.

"Zach go." I push him towards the stage.

The crowd parts for him as he walks through and onto the stage. A woman puts a plastic gold crown on his head. He flashes an award winning smile.

"And the moment you have all been waiting for... your homecoming queen is..." Every one waits in anticipation. "Dylan Brynn!" I clap for the happy girl who won -wait, did they just say Dylan Brynn? Then a spot light is put on me.

"Surprise." Tara whispers.

"We put your name on the ballot." Jessica explains.

I walk through the parted crowd. I stand on stage next to Zach. The woman puts a crown on my head.

"Now your king and queen will dance." The principal announces. Zach holds my hand as he guides us to the middle of the gym. I felt embarrassed, not because of Zach but because of the situation. Zach was my friend and I was going to be dancing with him. We are the king and queen.

A romantic country song starts to play and the spot light is on us. I feel everyone's eyes on us. Zach puts his hands on my waist and I put my hands on his shoulders. We were both very awkward. I have never danced like this before with someone. We are getting to the last minute of the song and I don't ever want it to end, I know that once it does we won't ever be like this again.

Zach spins me around and when I face him again my hands place themselves on his chest. The light sparkles in his eyes. Zach puts his forehead on mine. He is smiling and I am smiling to much my face hurts. The song ends and people clap. I blush bright red, Zach must have just heard it also because he starts to blush as well.

Another song starts to play and people start dancing but Zach and I don't move.

"Come on." He says taking me out of my daze. I nod and we get into his truck.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see in a minute." He says. Then I recognize the road we are on.

Zach parks the truck, the corn field. Zach comes to my side and carries me to the bed of the truck so that my feet didn't get dirty. We sit on a blanket that Zach laid out.

"Zach..." I say.

"I'm sorry." He says.

"For-" he placed his lips on mine.

Only for a second. That was all. There was a heat in my chest. It was a different feeling from when I kissed Gavin. With Gavin I was nervous but with Zach it was just... I don't know what that was.

"What are you doing?" I asked, my voice a whisper.

"I'm sorry, I just... I wanted to do that."

"Zach, I don't want you to be my rebound." He didn't say anything so I continued. "You are my friend Zach and I feel very close to you. We got close very fast but I'm not ready to fall in love. Not yet."

"I'll wait for you." He promised.

"It might be a while."

"That is okay with me."

We lay under the stars for a while. I was freezing so Zach gave me the jacket to his suit. He turned on the radio. Songs played and then that song came on again.

What a depressing song to love.

📕📗📘📙

Authors Note:
I don't really know why but this chapter makes me feel really sad.