Chapter 9 (Gab_The_Great)

Ray's POV

  Wow.

  Wow.

  Those were a lot of cuts. They looked like they must've hurt. I couldn't stop staring at the cuts. Ryan was silent, uncomfortably silent, and I realized how awkward this must be for him. "Sorry, uh, I got scratched up in a..." Ryan tried to think up an excuse off the top of his head. He failed and stared at his lap. I have the game paused and I put the controller down.

  "Ray, I-I just... Just ignore them, I'll go, uh, get a clean shirt and it'll be fine." He gives me a weak smile and got up to go. I grabbed his wrist, and he turned and looked at me. "It's not fine," I replied as I stood, staring into his eyes. "Why don't you sit down, and we'll just... talk. It doesn't have to be about your, uh, cuts." Ryan blinked a few times and I blushed a little.

  Ryan hugged me. I was startled for a second before I hugged back just as tightly. He started crying on my shoulder and then we were sitting on the couch and Ryan was telling me his life story.

  "And-And I was at work when my wife wanted to surprise m-me by dropping by... S-She and my kid left and there was a guy who r-ran a red light and- oh God..." He buried his face in my shoulder, sobbing, his whole body trembling as he did. I frowned as I rubbed his back. "Shh," I shushed him as he tried to stop crying. "I'm pretty sure I can guess what happened. You can stop reliving it in your head now."

  Watching him cry... It hurt me. It was like seeing him in pain caused me actual, physical pain. Ryan pulled back and looked at me, his face wet, his eyes red. He tried to smile but only got a little bit of a forced grimace. "Thank you, Ray," Ryan whispered. I smiled at him, a genuine smile. "It's okay," I answered as Ryan wiped furiously at his tears. I looked at the time. 10 PM already.

  Ryan's gaze followed mine and he looked out the dark window. "I-I guess I should go home now," Ryan mumbled, his own face blushing a bit. I shook my head, smiling at him again. "You think I'm just gonna let you waltz out of here onto the streets when you're all upset and crying like this?" I scoffed. "You must think I'm an idiot." Ryan looked at me, confused, then he smiled a legitimate smile. Far from it, he thought, I could hear his voice whisper even though his lips didn't move.

  "You're staying here for the night," I said. "No complaining." Ryan rolled his eyes and sighed for a long time, like he was annoyed I even suggested it. I knew he was joking and already had his mind made up. "Where would I sleep?" he asked, raising a brow at me. "On the couch, dummy," I replied, lightly punching his shoulder. "We just met, I'm not sharing a bed with you yet. You could, like, stab me when I sleep."

  Ryan chuckled and nodded. "Fine, fine," he replied. "But how do I know you wouldn't stab me when I sleep?" I smiled as I shut off the Xbox. "I guess you'll have to wait and find out," I answered as I gave Ryan a blanket, taking his now Mountain Dew-soaked shirt for the washer. I went to leave the living room as Ryan laid down across the couch to sleep, pulling the blanket up over him.

  "Ray?"

  I paused, glancing back at him.

  "I know this sounds gay as hell, but... are you a guardian angel or something like that?"

  A low chuckle came from my throat as I rolled my eyes.

  "Something like that."

  363 days.

Sorry I've been busy, Friends and other assorted creatures. I'm kinda caught up in the whole 'its summer lets not do anything productive on Wattpad' haze. I'll try to kick it but my friend Hullooo_the_Great is NOT helping at all. XP Well here you go, the next chapter and its ominousness stuff