Chapter 17

'You were always so smart"

I still hadn't responded to Oliver's message. It didn't make sense for me to, if he wanted to speak to me, he'd have to approach me in person. This wasn't something I was gonna let us ignore, we had to sort it out. Face to face.

"You look lavish" Hunter smiles as he wraps his hands around my waist as we walk down the hallway, towards our maths class.

"Gee, thanks. I think it's the uniform hey" I answer back cheekily and he lets out  a chuckles as I gently lean my head on his shoulder. Everything had changed after that one day at the library. It was as if we suddenly allowed the waves of emotions to fill us, not trying to fight them anymore, we swam in them and enjoyed them. We ignored the consequences and the repercussions

"Hey, wanna grab coffee after school today?" He ask as he drops his bag on his desk, beginning to unpack his books on the single desk beside me.

"Um yeah, actually – I was thinking"

"Isn't that rare" He jokes and I slap him gently as the class slowly begins to fill up.

"You're not as funny as you think you are" I comment as I giggle, leaning against the table, giving him my undivided attention. Just as the words leave my life, Oliver walks into the class with Andrew and Mason by his side. And suddenly, I don't feel as care free anymore. Hunter looks between the two of us as an apologetic expression falls over his face as Oliver brushed past me without a second glance.

"Anyway, um, I-" I struggled to find the words as my mind felt like it had exploded and messed all over the place "Um... I was thinking that Hailey and you could come over for a ride. After coffee maybe?" I suggest as I quickly compose myself and pretending as if Oliver hadn't walked in.

"Oh, I'm sure Hailey would adore that. I'll let her know now" He answers as he types away at his phone quickly "So coffee, then a ride" He asks answers I nod as I tug at the end of my jersey feeling Oliver's gaze as he eavesdrops on the conversation.

The bell rang and the class quieted down as the teacher began writing down teaching multiple equations that I knew I would have to self-teach later on.

"Sir, surely it would conclude to RHS?" Oliver ask and I shake my head gently seeing his mistake

"You're not wrong" I slip and the teacher looks at me with a small smile

"Ms. Valentin, care to correct Mr.Lexingtons mistake?" He asked, but he wasn't really asking, more commanding me to

"How did you figure that out? we just learnt it" Hunter ask as he stares at me dreamily and the entire class stars making comments and how academically strong I was and how it was no surprise honestly.

"Yeah, Juliet's super smart, it's crazy" Sara comments quickly

"Well she's not top of the grade for nothing" someone else comments, and I feel my cheeks heating up as I look down at the paper

"Julie, you're an A aggregate right?" my teach, Mr.Fawn, ask and I nod shyly

"Yes sir" I answer and he nods slowly to himself

"Wow Juliet" Hunter stares as I turn my attention to him, my eyebrows were slightly raised as I intended to give him my full attention "You're so smart" He starts and suddenly the class has gone silent as they watch Hunter and I's interactions "you've were always so smart" the words leave his mouth and I stare at him, taken back slightly. My breath hitched and I could feel distress begin to fill my face as I turn to Oliver who's looking between the two of us suspiciously. His face had gone red and he seemed absolutely livid. He knew Hunter had just admitted to loving me, Oliver wasn't stupid and Hunter knew that.

Panic slowly began to fill me as I quickly turned my attention back to the paper that rest on my desk. My hands were trembling and I could feel Oliver's anger radiating as I attempted to calm myself down.

"Sir, could I please be excused to go to the bathroom?" I ask and he nods allowing me to swiftly and quickly leave the classroom.

I stared at my reflection. My cheeks were red and my breathing was heavy as strands of hair fell out of my ponytail. I tried splashing water on my face to cool down and re-collect myself but I still felt scared and worried. My mind was a scattered mess. I didn't like it. I've always had my head together. I've always had my life together. I hated not knowing my next move, or not knowing what to expect.

Since I was young I've hated surprises, everybody knew that. I always had to know what was going on, I always needed to have the upper-hand.

When class was over, I jolted away, trying my hardest to avoid Hunter and Oliver.

Just as I walk down the halls quickly I feel someone grab my arm.

"Julie what the fuck!" Ellie's voice rings through my ears "-apparently Hunter pulled some Great Gatsby shit in front of Oliver" she begins and I cut her off

"Can we please leave, I don't want to run into either one of them"

"When did you become Belle from twilight" She jokes I quickly rush her out the doors of our prestigious private school "Well, I suppose you're more Daisy than everything ele-OH MY GOSH, how funny, so y'know how Hunter's American right" She begins to babble

"Yes" I sigh as I scan the parking lot, trying to find the black SUV that always picks me up

"Well, technically, you're his American dream, cause he's like, whipped over you and probably has dreams about you" silence "Get it , cause he's American and Daisey represents the American dream, and you're basically Daisy-It's really funny if you ask-"

"Ellie, I need you to shut up for two seconds while I try compose myself" I ask patiently as I feel my cheeks only getting hotter and hotter. She keeps quiet for a moment as she watches me.

"You're actually concerned, aren't you?" she ask quietly as she watched me as if I were some foreign exhibit

"Yeah, well, the boy that I love, yet I'm fighting with just found out that the boy I supposedly cheated on him with loves me. Of course I'm concerned," And right then and there, I was prepared to just crawl up into a ball and cry. And I don't mean gentle soft tears, I mean loud sticky and snotty sobs, the ones that make you look pathetic and childish in front of everyone.

No way in hell.

"But you don't, right?" she ask as she raises an eyebrow, tilting her head slightly and she continues analyzing me. I didn't like that.

"Don't what?" I snap slightly irritated, but, this doesn't phase her as she continues scanning my face. As she were searching for weakness in me, much as a cougar before pouncing on her prey.

"Don't love him right?" She ask. And there's a silence for a moment as I turn to look at her. I search her eyes for a second but it's as if there is some wall blocking us from one another. I narrow my eyes and tighten my lips.

"Don't be absurd now, Ellie" I sneer as I look a way quickly, tightening my ponytail

"You didn't admit it" she comments

"Is there really a need? I thought the answer was explicitly obvious at this point" My tone is sharp and vicious as anger and bitterness begins to fill my stomach.

"Apparently not" Her voice was taunting as she smirked smugly at me. I turn back and stare at her for a moment. Everything inside of me slap that pretty face of hers and put her back in place for a second. I shake my head and return to looking for Paul, who's car comes rolling in sleekly. "You know, you can let your guard down once in a while" Her voice is soft as I look at her again feeling my cheeks go a deeper crimson colour.

"I don' know what you're talking about" I shake my head as a light, almost nervous, doubtful laugh leaves my lips as we walk down the stairs as Paul opens the door for us.

"Of course you don't" Her voice was light and breathy, almost inaudible. I don't know if I was supposed to hear that.