5 - Friendship

Caroline knew no matter how hard it was for her to accept the truth the other truth was: She loved him and it wasn't going to change. Yeah she was mad at him but she knew in her heart she'd get over it. She knew where she stood with Nik, with her mom, brother everyone one else except Elena and Bonnie. Caroline returned home to Mystic Falls thinking things would be easy but at the moment her life was far from it.

She went home and tried to think how to talk to her friends. Just as she was about to go out the front door Elena and Bonnie were standing in front of her. "Sorry, were you going somewhere?" Elena asked with a smile. Caroline sighed "No." And opened the door wider to allow them in. They went into her living room and sat down Caroline began to feel worry in the pit of her stomach she was about to go to the grill to get something to eat, she hadn't had breakfast yet and it was almost time for lunch, "So what's the matter this time?" Caroline said sharply. "We just want to talk. Just like we used to-" Bonnie was cut off. "I think it's a little late for that!" Elena cut in bonnie just looked at her friend, who was sitting to the left of her while Caroline sat in front of the pair. "Look. We know you care about Klaus and his family but we care about you and just don't want you to get hurt. We're not going to get along with them not now, not ever." Caroline just looked at Bonnie 'Care? Of course I care about the! I love them like an actual family would!' Her head screamed. "You know what he's done so we don't have to go into any detail about that. But you're our friend- we're not going to make you choose a side if you don't want to." Elena said calmly. "And as long as they don't do anything to hurt us or you then we'll leave them alone but like Bonnie said we're not going to pretend to like them in the slightest. After everything they've done-" Elena was cut off now. "After everything THEY'VE done? I- What about all the things you did to them?! In my opinion you's are both as bad as each other." Caroline said as calmly as she could but she spoke the truth and her friends knew that.

"I'm not getting stuck in the middle of this 'feud' or whatever you want to call it. Okay I care about all of you." She said with a sigh. "Now I'm going to go to the grill, I'm hungry. You can see yourself out if you don't want to come." She said grabbing her coat again and walking out of the door. Elena and Bonnie followed their friend. "Caroline! Are we okay now?" Bonnie asked with pity. "I don't know." She said with a sigh while getting into her car and driving off. "Are we going to follow her?" Elena asked Bonnie who was already walking to her car. "Yup."

When the friends arrived at the grill they realised Caroline wasn't alone. She was sitting laughing with Rebekah. "Please don't tell me you want to join them." Bonnie asked as Elena was walking towards them. "Hi! Do you mind if we join you?" She smiled at her friend and the enemy. Caroline and Rebekah just stared at each other. "Sure." Rebekah replied. "Like this won't be awkward." She continued. The four of them just sat there in silence while Caroline ate. "Please just talk!" she moaned. "Why?" Rebekah laughed. "'Cause it's too quiet." Caroline replied. "Still don't like silence huh?" Elena asked. Caroline shook her head as she put more food in her mouth. "Well i'm going to go. What are you going to do?" Rebekah asked Caroline. It was obvious that she didn't want to be there. "Yeah hang on a minute." Caroline said finishing her food. "Wait where are you going?" Bonnie asked. "What are you going to do follow her?" Rebekah snapped. "Hey" Caroline warned her friend, snapping back at her. "Sorry" her friend apologised. "They're welcome to come if they want to." She said with kindness. Caroline smiled and walked away "Are you coming?" she turned around and asked all three of her friends.

Caroline and Rebekah returned to the Mikaelson mansion with Bonnie as for Elena she went home. "Caroline, 'Bekah!" Kol yelled "and the witch..." he said looking at bonnie with a sharp look. "What's she doing here, sister?" he asked. "I don't know, Kol and i don't care as long as she doesn't start a fight then I'm fine with it. But why don't you ask her? She's standing right next to me." she snarled at her brother. Kol just looked at Bonnie as she remained silent. "You're boyfriend's upstairs in his room if you're looking for him." Kol said to Caroline.

Caroline headed up the stairs to Nik leaving Bonnie with Rebekah glancing around to see that Kol had walked off. Rebekah and Bonnie stood there for at least ten minutes after Caroline and Kol were out of sight. "You know what, I'm just going to go." Bonnie said feeling like things were awkward. "Caroline would want you to stay." Rebekah said fast really not caring whether she left or stayed. "If she wanted me to stay then where is she? She'd be down here talking to us not up there with Klaus. Bye." Bonnie was frustrated that her friend left her with Rebekah as she knows they won't get along.

Caroline was sitting blabbering away while Nik was painting. "I feel so bad! I left Bonnie downstairs with Rebekah." Nik laughed. "Yeah well she's probably away by now. People never hang around my sister for very long why do you think she's so... um.... You know i don't even have a word to describe what she get's like." Nik stuttered. Caroline laughed. "You shouldn't be laughing you're friend probably away by now." Be stopped paining and walked towards her to give her a hug. "Do you want to go after her?" He asked. "Not really..." Caroline said. "I can't be bothered with all the drama." She said into his chest.

"Why can't you be bothered? They can't possibly be that bad, can they?" Nik asked, Caroline just looked at him. "You clearly don't know them all that well, then." She smiled. "I love you." He said leaning down to kiss her but just then Elijah came knocking at the door. " Caroline, sorry to disturb you, I just thought you should know you're friend left." He said then walking out before she could respond. "See? Now can you relax? It's fine, it's just the two of us now" he smiled. Caroline loved the way he smiled but hated it when he showed his temper. "No because my friends and my boyfriend hate each other." She murmured. "Caroline. Please don't try to understand it, what's happening now are the way things are meant to be. I love you. They will never interfere with that." Nik said. "I love you too." Was all caroline said, she knew better not to argue with him.

Caroline was getting tired of all the not knowing. She knew he'd done bad things but so had her friends. In her eyes it was equal and she was annoyed that she couldn't win! While Nik and his family were acting human Elena and Bonnie weren't. And a part of her wished they could all get along she thought what would happen if they were all human and no one had died, would they have gotten along then? But it was up to her to try and help them get on at least when they were around her. 'It's up to me so it'll be.' She thought. All she wanted was for them to get along and then she could be happy if not then she would have to choose.