8 - How t o save a life

And then he saw Caroline lying up against a tree covered in blood. He hurried to her "A Wolf." She coughed he leaned her forward and he saw the blood lines on the tree's wood, she'd been scratched. What did he do? Did he give her blood? Or did he let her die? If she was to become a vampire and die with his blood in her system then her mother would never be able to forgive him, never mind her, he would never forgive himself! But he did it anyway even though he wouldn't be able to be forgiven by anyone nor himself he wouldn't forgive himself if he let her die. So he bit his wrist and put it towards her face "No!" she screamed out in pain. "Caroline please. Do you want to die?" he said as softly as Caroline's eyes filled up with tears when she shook her head.

Nik hugged her as his blood worked on healing her "Shh! It's okay you're safe now. I'm not going anywhere, I promise" he said with tears rolling down both of their faces. Caroline's, because she was in so much pain and Nik's because he loved her so much he never wanted to lose her but he had a really bad feeling that he would. Ones he was sure she was okay he carried her back to his house and lay her carefully in his bed pulled the covers over her and slowly walked out the room as he saw Rebekah standing in the doorway.

"How is she?" his sister asked it was also very obvious that she had been crying too. "She'll be okay." He said looking straight through her, he was hungry "Go and get something to eat." She said. "I'll look after her, keep an eye on her till you get back." She continued. Nik hesitated before walking off with every few steps he took he'd look back on his sister who was walking into the bedroom where Caroline lay with his paintings.

Nik retuned as quickly as he could to find that Rebekah had left her alone. Before he could say anything his sister jumped to her own defence. "Now before you start. Her mother's up there with her and so is Elijah." She said with a sigh. "Okay." He sighed back trying not to say anything else before rushing up to his room Caroline was sitting up and her mother was holding her hand. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to see how you were doing." He said not taking his eyes off, of the sheriff's daughter. "I'm okay." Was all Caroline replied. He could tell she was still weak but she was looking so much better.

As Nik turned to go away leaving the two of them together the sheriff called him back "Klaus!" he turned to look at them "what- I mean is she going to be okay?" Liz asked him, almost whispering, who was walking over to him as her daughter lay down to go back to sleep. "I don't know." He replied truthfully. "She's human i know of a human that was turned into a werewolf. The only thing is i can't remember if it was a bite or a scratch." Again he was telling the truth. Although he'd been around for  hundreds and thousands of years this was the one thing he couldn't remember. "Well that helps a tone. Doesn't it?" she scoffed still looking at Caroline before turning away. "I'll come back later and see how she's doing." Liz said looking back at her daughter before leaving.

Nik went closer to Caroline he prayed he'd be fine. As much as he loved her he wanted her to have a human life. He sat down on the bed and held her hand as she opened her eyes weakly "Hey" she murmured smiling softly. He just looked at her he couldn't believe how weak she looked. Nik sighed despondently he'd hoped the blood had worked, and it had but she still looked so ill and he couldn't understand why. "How are you feeling?" He asked her as she sat up. "I'm okay." She sighed leaning back against the pillows supporting her. "Really?" Nik asked again screwing up his face "You don't look 'okay' you look so ill" she just looked at him.

They just sat there and talked for hours on end but all that was on Nik's mind was that it was another full moon tonight so we would soon find out if caroline was a werewolf or not be prayed not.

As Caroline slept the siblings secured the house while Nik was outside protecting it in his wolf form there was no way anyone could get in or out. 'Out?' he thought if Caroline was to turn into a wolf then she would get to his siblings he had warned them to secure the door but not so they couldn't get out. Nik had forgotten Liz wanted to stop by "later" it was later and he was in his wolf form standing at the front door denying her access.  His wolf lay down still guarding the door but not for long when the two heard banging coming from behind the front door "Nik!" he could hear Rebekah yelling as the door was being opened by her. He just looked at his sister who was looking back and Nik knew instantly that it was Caroline, but her mother didn't know that. "I'm guessing it's a scratch that turns a human into a werewolf." Kol said running down the stairs. "NO!" Liz yelled she went to run through the front door before Nik growled then let out a roar causing her to back off.  He ran up to his room where Caroline should've been sleeping. But the bed was empty and a window was smashed. He ran and jumped up so he could see if she was lying on the ground he didn't want her to get hurt. So he jumped out of the window and went on a search to find her.

"Where is she?" Liz asked the siblings who were running out of the door and into the woods. Kol turned around suddenly "I DON'T KNOW!"     He yelled at her, losing his temper. "Kol." Elijah said warning him. "None of us do." he then said looking at Liz whose face was full of worry. "If she gets hurt i swear to god I'll-" Liz started "It won't happen. Nik won't allow it." Rebekah cut in. Before anyone else could say anything there was a loud yelp coming from the woods. The vampire's got there as soon as they could, leaving Liz to run at her own speed.

"Nik... What happened?" his sister asked in shock as the family saw Nik back in his human form and Caroline knocked out against a tree. "She was going to attack someone... i had no choice." You could tell by his voice that he felt so bad for hurting her. "I had no choice..." he mumbled over and over again. "Nik... Hey! It's not your fault" Rebekah said softly. "Caroline!" Liz yelled finally arriving and seeing her daughter knocked out lying against a tree. "What the hell did you do!" she yelled at Nik. She didn't even give him a chance to say anything before she picked Caroline up and walked away turning round and saying "You stay away from her!" she yelled again looking only at Nik "All of you" she said a little calmer scanning the sibling's other siblings. "Sheriff I-" Kol started "NO! I don't want to hear it!" she screamed at him. Even though she knew it wasn't the family's fault it still happened and she didn't want her daughter being around them in the first place but now she has an excuse. She left with Caroline leaving the family in the middle of the woods in shock.