2- cuddles

Zuko's POV

I sigh and walk away from the main area, aware the others are heading to the one room they share, to cuddle some before they actually go to bed. I feel another zing of longing curve through me, but I bash it to pieces, walking back to my room. I settle on my bed with a frown, before closing my eyes and slipping into a half sleep.

I feel someone moving near me hours later and open one eye, surprised when I see The Duke standing by my bed, looking at it like he's trying to figure out how to get on.

"The Duke....? Is everything ok?"

He nods, but the way he's shivering doesn't go along with that, so I roll over and reach down, offering a hand for him to take. He stares at me, and then takes my hand, quickly scrambling up as I drag him onto the bed. He curls up and then looks at me. I nod and lie back down, getting comfortable, before stilling. The Duke uncurls and looks at me critically, before nodding and curling up on my chest. He doesn't weigh much, so I just toss an arm over him and close my eyes, slipping back into sleep.

I wake up in pain and cry out, tumbling off the bed, even as I tighten my arms around The Duke to keep him safe. I wheeze as pain lances up and into my side, repeating a circuit as I breathe. I wince and then unclench my arms, releasing The Duke, who looks around in surprise, before loooking over me.

"Zuko? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong, is that... that.... demon had you in bed with him, and he trapped you there. How dare you do that, to an innocent child!!!! He's no older than 8. I should kill you now, and end your destiny. Right. Now."

"Katara stop it!!! Zuko didn't trap me!! I climbed into bed and slept with him on my own accord. You don't have the right to make assumptions like that. What'd ya do to him?"

I groan and curl up tighter, gripping my left side where the rib has obviously been broken. I feel The Duke's small hands tugging at my arm and gently try to turn, wincing as pain lights up along my side, before I look at The Duke. I smile at him gently, then wince as his small hands slide across my rib,pain flaring, before it settles into it's mostly constant throb.

"Zuko....? Please, tell me what's wrong. Katara will heal it, won't you?"

She doesn't look like she wants to and probably opens her mouth to say that, but a glance at The Duke's face stops her. He's got tears in his eyes, with puppy dog eyes and a quivering lip. I know she's a goner, because I am too. I grunt and gently lift up a hand, settling it on the back of his head and pull him down, enough that I can wrap both arms around him.

"It's ok. Sorry you woke up like that. I didn't think last night, I should've sent you to someone else, so that you'd've gotten more sleep. But, was the sleep you got pleasant?"

"Yes. You're warmth kept the cold away and you're presence scared away the monsters and darkness. Thank you.... so much. Can I come again tonight?"

"You don't have to ask, The Duke. You can come any night, as long as you need to."

"Call me Duke. You're my friend, my cuddle friend. They get to call me Duke."

I smile and nod, before releasing him so Katara can heal me. I wince as she pushes a bit too hard when setting it, but she does set and fix it, then gets up and storms out.

"We'd better get out there, before Katara twists the story to her version without anyone to correct her. Come on, Zuko."

I smile down at the 8 year old who obviously notices more than the rest of the group think, and let him drag me out of my room. As we found a corner, we can hear the end of one of Katara's sentences and the beginning of the next comment from Toph.