6-kid

A/n: no this is not the kids of any of the characters, but a little kid Zuko finds wandering around the temple between the episode where the gang accept him and he loses his firebending. 

Zuko's POV 

I sigh as I find myself wandering the temple out of boredom and safety. Katara and the others trust me minimally, but Toph trusts me fine and The Duke and his gang don't hate me, but don't particularly like me, either. I'm ok with that, but for my general safety, I'm exploring the temple to be away from everyone else. I hear a scuffling and stop, looking around me. There are a few doors that lead into rooms, and one old storage room, but no one else comes back here. Heck, this is just somewhere I stumbled on now. Why would anyone else be back here?

"Hello?"

The small and cracking voice startled me, because it's too young to be anyone in the group, which means they are ten or younger. But, how did this kid get here?

"Yes, tiny one?"

I don't see this kid, but I figure they want a response or they wouldn't have called out. The scuffing gets closer and then a small boy, about 6 steps into the light. His black hair and goldish-red eyes give him away as fire nation. His clothes are torn in places and I see a few cuts, but none too bad or infected.

"Who... who are you?"

"My name's Zuko. I used to be a prince, but that title wasn't for me. How about you? Are you a prince? You seem adorable enough to be one."

The boy blushes and shuffles forward, his bare feet lifting barely off the floor. He seems hesitant, and I suddenly wonder where his family is. 

"Is your family nearby? Are you looking for them?"

Tears well up in his eyes and I wince, aware I said the wrong thing. I slowly crouch down, noting and filing away the flinch for later, but open my arms. I know how much kids love hugs, and he seems like he needs one. I soon have a shaggy head buried in my neck and tiny arms wrapped around my waist, constricting my breathing slightly. I sigh and wrap my arms around him, engulfing his cold body with my warmth and heating my inner fire some, allowing it to accept the air, like it's wanted to do since I first got to this temple. 

"Please..... don't send me away..... please. Just need some sleep.... some food.... some family.... gone, not here anymore..... please,let me stay."

I feel my heart squeeze and contract, breaking just the tiniest bit as his young voice echoes in my mind. 

"I'll help you as best I can, but the group I'm with don't like me much. You may not see me after this at all, if some of them have their way. Let's go."

I pick him up, his weight a little lighter than he should be for his age, but he's ok. I feel him nuzzle me and offer more heat, before heading back towards the main group. I don't want to go and get on the gang's nerve, but this kid needs something and I, alone, can't actually give him anything he needs. I hurry quickly, forcing my worry aside, maintaining my gentle grip as I go down some stairs and round turns as quickly as I can. I soon enter the main area, and spot the entire gang, only Teo, The Duke and Haru not there, as they simply just don't hang around often, preferring to explore. 

"Katara! Is there any leftover food?"

She glares at me, but the sight of the child in my arms sets off a cold ice, which buries into my skin  and chills me, even as I continue forward with the child.

"Hey, little one. We've reached the others, so I'm going to set you down now, so you can eat. Go ahead and explain to them about your parents, so you can stay. I'll be leaving, so go ahead and-"