2. Training

The next day, Jessie woke up from a sudden shock. She shook it off and began to get dressed in her usual uniform. Pants, white blouse, her uniform jacket, army boots, and belt. She then remembered that it was Steve’s first day. She grabbed the plans she promised to give to Howard and left her barracks. She walked into the laboratory and found Peggy talking with Howard.

“Sergeant Evans,” Peggy said in her British accent.

“Do you have the plans?” Howard asked. Jessie handed them over. He took them and looked them over. “Nice. Thank you, Jessie.”

“What are they for?” Peggy asked.

“We’re going to try and make an AI, or Artificial Intelligence,” Jessie replied. “If technology is going to be better and bigger in the future, we might as well start here.”

“It is an excellent invention that may take us years to process and success,” Howard said.

“I want to call it Jarvis. Project Jarvis.”

Howard chuckled, “Alright. Project Jarvis it is.”

“Good. Oh, and Peggy. There’s a new recruit who’s starting. Steven Rogers. He’s going to be one of the test subjects for Doctor Erskine as well for Project Rebirth.”

“Another Super Soldier?” Peggy asked.

“Yes.  Promised Bucky I would keep an eye on him and make sure he stays safe.”

“He’s a skinny little guy,” Howard spoke up looking at the blueprints. “I like him.”

“Not many people accept him for his height. He’s twenty four years-old and is only 5’4” in height.”

“Well, then. We should go meet the new recruit along with the others,” Peggy said. Jessie nodded. They said goodbye to Howard and left. They saw a line of men in uniforms standing and waiting. A Private officer followed to two girls carrying clipboards for the recruits.

“So, you promised Bucky you would keep an eye out for Mr. Rogers?” Peggy asked.

“Yes.”

“Why couldn’t he do it himself?”

“He was shipped to England remember?”

“Oh. Yes now I remember. And you were supposed to go with him, but he told them not to send you out.”

“And, Steve is the reason why. I met Steve yesterday when Bucky and I helped him from getting beat up. Bucky asked me to keep an eye on Steve while he was gone. Steve’s a nice guy. Small, but he’s a nice guy. Not many women accept him because of his height. I’m the first woman to accept him for who he is, not what he looks like.”

“We’ll that is very kind of you, Evans. No wonder you’re so loyal to Bucky.” Peggy smiled to her friend who, in return, smiled back. They got to the line of recruits. Jessie pointed out Steve and Peggy realized what Howard meant by skinny little guy. Peggy smiled to herself when she saw Steve’s height.

“Recruits, attention!” Jessie ordered, her voice strong with a Russian accent. She looked at the men’s feet and pointed one of the soldiers. “Feet together soldier.”

“Gentlemen,” Peggy began speaking, “I am Agent Carter, and this is Sergeant Evans. We supervise all operations for this division.” The Private began passing out clipboards.

“What’s with the accent Queen Victoria?” A recruit with a heavy New York accent questioned Peggy. “I thought I signed up for the U.S. army.”

“What’s your name, soldier?” Jessie asked. The recruit recognized her New York accent and tough, half hearted manner and decided to give her a nickname as well.