Unexpected

*****

Anna Marie held a warm smile for the rest the day. She felt lighter and happier after she kissed Lauren, like a larger weight was lifted off her shoulders. And then her phone rang.

"Hello, this is Ms. Hunter" she answered.

"No need for formalities Anna, but unless you insist. Since you never talk to your mother anymore" said a gravelly voice. Chills ran up and down her spine.

"What is it mother?" she growled.

"I need a favor from you, and you know what this family is apart of" she snickered. I have a bad feeling about this...

*****

Lauren nearly skipped back to Ann's office, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw her with an angered look on her face. She walked over and laid a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you ok? Did something happen?" she asked. Anna Marie said nothing as she went to lean on the desk.

"I need to tell you something before this goes any further" she gestured between them. "My mother called me earlier and I didn't like what she had to say. Her and my father were involved in some bad things and now they're coming back to haunt them, and now I'm involved apparently" The look of defeat and anguish on Ann's face told her that something would happen to them.

"She said I would need to marry someone and fast or the people they were communicating with will appoint someone to me. They want me to marry because they need an heir to prove that our family line will continue. Why this is happening, I don't know I just-..." Ann looked away as if ashamed. Lauren held her head to her chest and gently stroked her hair to comfort her.

"So, who are you going to marry?" she asked quietly. Ann shook her head against her and held on tightly around her hips.

"I don't know Lauren. I just revealed my feelings for you this morning, I can't ask you of anything else" she reasoned. She tilted Ann's head to her and kissed her forehead.

"I will. You've moved faster than any other person I've been with, which is two, but I've also never been so sure in my feelings for someone. If it doesn't work out, then do what you have to do" Lauren said confidently. Ann only stared at her for a long moment before pulling her in for a long kiss. It was eager and desperate that burned like fire. Anna Marie pulled away and looked Lauren straight in the eye.

"Lauren Marvel, will you marry me?" she whispered.

"Yes, I will marry you Anna Marie Hunter" she smiled.

Several weeks passed on and Lauren struggled to keep up with the wedding planning. Looking at the clock on the wall she sighed and continued writing on the papers in front of her. Strong but gentle arms encircled around her from behind.

"Need some help with that?" Ann breathed in her ear.

"No, I'm almost done, and I would appreciate it if you didn't distract me" she laughed. Ann nibbled on her ear before letting go.

"Fine, but you'll pay later" Pleasant chills ran through Lauren's body knowing her words held a promise.

"Oh! Ann, please remember to call your mother before we leave. You know how she is with knowing dates and times" Lauren had gotten to know Ann's mother very well after an awkward introduction dinner announcing their engagement. Ann's mother, Rita, had practically interrogated her, and let it have known her obvious dislike of Lauren. Anna Marie groaned loudly and rubbed her face with her hands.