5

"Are you okay?"

This was the first sentence I said to him.
He looked a mess. He had the darkest shade of grey under his eyes and his clothes were limp. His hair was untied and greasy and matted in areas and curly in other areas. My heart broke for him.

He didn't seem too happy to see me. He was surprised at first then he looked disappointed and sad. He turned away and took a step.

"Wait! Alex please.." I said. He stopped and hesitated. "I know you're going through a lot right now, with your children with foster placements and Eliza..." I couldn't finish my sentence, but I continued. He meant too much, "did I not mean anything to you? Was I just a distraction? I meant it when I said I loved you. Did you?"

He just stood still as a statue, still turned away.
"Alexander, look at me." I said firmly. He didn't. I stepped up from the the doorstep and held his shoulder. He was shaking rapidly. I turned him gently around to face me. His expression was stone-face but there were tears spilling down his cheeks.

I didn't say anything but I grabbed him and pulled him close. He started to full on cry. All I did was embrace him. All I could do was embrace him.

We stood there for half an hour holding eachother.
He started to calm down after that. I held him at arm length and look into his eyes. He sniffed but looked back at me too.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked, my voice accidentally in a whisper. He nodded.
I leaned in and gently touched his lips with mine. The moment was so romantic. I wanted us to stay like this for ever. We made out softly until Alexander pulled away.

He said "I can't stay here.."
"Say no more, my love." I smiled, "do you want to go now?" He nodded.

I took his hand and we left. We walked together back to my house.
When we did, I told him to sit on the sofa.

"You can sleep in my bed tonight. I'll sleep on the sofa" I say, stating to make two hot chocolates. I silently prayed that he would say 'no I want to go in your bed too..' but he stayed silent.
When I gave him his hot chocolate he slurped it heartily but I could tell he wasn't truly happy. It made me sad but I knew his heart had been broken multiple times recently. I loved him.

I wanted him to really love me. Actually mean it.

Words: 340