22. Fake Smiles

October 1st, 2018

Dear whatever,

I didn't really have much to leave behind when it came to Bree.

I went to the gym where I found her stretching out with the rest of the cheerleaders.

When her eyes met mine, I smiled and she happily returned it.

She wasn't a real friend. If she was, she wouldn't have bought this fake smile on my face while I was breaking on the inside.

But it wasn't her fault. It was nobody's fault. It was mine. It was always mine. Always.
I did everything wrong. Everything.

"Have you seen that cow? She has been wearing that ugly, sad face for so many days because of some stupid sweater," Bree said, rolling her eyes like the diva she was.

"You cut her favorite sweater into pieces just because of some stupid phone while knowing you could always have bought a new one with the amount of money you have. Compared to you, she barely has enough to buy herself a nice sweater!" I wanted to scream this at her face, but I couldn't. I just couldn't.

I felt so numb and empty. It scared me how I was able to smile so perfectly when I was completely shattered on the inside.

"Are we still on for shopping tomorrow? I have to buy a new mascara," she said, pulling her blonde hair into a tight ponytail.

Still smiling, I nodded.

Satisfied, another bright smile appeared on her face and she gave me a quick hug before waving at me as she headed back to the cheerleaders.

"Bye, Bree," I whispered before simply walking away, leaving behind nothing, but a girl who simply adored the perfect doll I was on the outside, but not the human on the inside.

Minutes later, I found Nathan running laps around the track outside with his teammates.
When he saw me, a smile appeared on his face and he jogged over to me. We met each other with a delicate kiss before he lifted the hem of his shirt to wipe the glistening sweat off his forehead. For a second, he revealed his shiny abs.

Even all sweaty and slightly breathless, he looked like Zac Efron. Why couldn't I be in love with him? Why couldn't he be in love with me? Why couldn't we love each other?

"Hey, before we start talking about anything else, I need to ask you something," he said with the slightest of worry blooming within his blue eyes.

"The morning after my party, when we woke up in my bed, I saw this bruise on your hip. What happened? Are you okay?"

At least he cared a bit. He didn't love me. But he cared. And that made me kind of...happy. That emotion was hard to comprehend with nowadays.

Smiling softly, I nodded. "I slipped on the wet bathroom floor a few days before the party, but I'm okay. Don't worry."

I lied. Of course I lied.

It was John, of course. He hit me when I tried to break free of his grip and tried to push him off of me a few nights before the party.

My boyfriend didn't look quite convinced and that made it hard to breathe. I felt my chest tighten.

"You sure? If you haven't gone to the doctor, we can,-"

"-It's okay. I'm fine. I mean it," I chuckled as I cut him off by taking his hands in mine. He was quite adorable when he was worried.

Relieved, he smiled back and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer so my hands moved up, behind his neck.

"You're still so hot even when you're sweaty and exhausted," I admitted, pushing strands of blond hair away from his forehead.

"Thanks, babe." He laughed, grinning.

"I have a game today, but do you want go out tomorrow? We can head to Starbucks and then watch a movie. You in?"

Smiling, I nodded. "Sure. Tomorrow sounds great. Tomorrow will be a great day."

He smiled and pressed his lips against mine and I instantly dived into the kiss. I kissed him with immense lust and desire as if my broken pieces would've shattered on the ground if I had let go of him even for a second. He kissed me back equally lustfully and tightened his arms around me, our bodies pressed against each other.

We were breathless when we broke the kiss and he placed a quick kiss on my forehead (which kind of surprised me. He has never done that before) and whispered, "I'll see you tomorrow."

I simply nodded and he let go of me before jogging back to his teammates.

I know what you are thinking, S.B. I could've told him. It was my chance to tell him everything John has been doing to me. But I couldn't. Too little too late, I guess.

"Bye, Nathan. Thanks for caring," I whispered before walking away, leaving nothing behind, but the blond haired boy who cared just a little bit to make my heart flutter for a second.

Sincerely, whatever.

****

Do you think Maya should've told Nathan everything?

Remember to
Vote ⭐️
Comment ❤️
Share with friends 🌹
Follow me☺️