Chapter 29: High Seas

It took about an hour for everyone to get settled on the ship. Raven sat on a box, leaning against the mast. She watched the dock to Newsham go farther and farther away. Raven's eyes trained on the royal ship sitting just two ships away. Not much activity could be seen on the ship, just a few members of the royal crew chatting.

They must be getting supplies.

"Raven."

Irene's voice broke Raven from her trance. Her blue eyes flickered to meet Irene's soft brown ones. Raven nodded, getting off the box she was sitting on. She followed Irene to her room, sitting in a soft purple chair as soon as she got inside. Irene sat on the other side of her desk, staring into Raven's eyes.

"How much do you know about the civil war?"

Raven looked away briefly, sighing.

"I know it's gotten worse. I'm guessing the docks were turned into a battlefield, right? That's why you were at Newsham. I'm sure trading isn't doing well right now either. I know my brother has been... acting out. I just... I don't know... feel like it's all my fault, you know? If I hadn't used my powers, the war still would have been --"

"Raven, stop. What is happening now isn't your fault. The war still would have ended up this way, regardless. Your brother can be saved, and so can Sera. You need to focus on your Pilgrimage, that is the only way you can help Sera."

Raven fell silent, looking at her lap. Irene's eyes softened, noticing her guilt.

"The civil war isn't your fault. You can't control how people feel about each other, but there is hope for Sera. I mean, just look at Yumi. She is a product of a Normal and a Blessed. Yumi's very existence alone has shown us that Normals and Blessed can coexist, even love. We just need to put in a little more effort."

Raven looked up, locking eyes with Irene. Irene smiled, trying to give her some form of comfort.

"Now enough about Sera, I wanna hear about you. How are you feeling?"

"I'm doing fine, for the most part. I just got the Blessings of Mirka and Amid..."

Irene's brown eyes widened, shock evident.

"How are your emotions? I know you had said something about them going haywire because of the twin gods' blessing."

Raven sighed, shaking her head.

"Yeah... my emotions haven't been the best, obviously. I... um... found love in someone..."

"REALLY?! THAT'S FANTASTIC! WHO?!"

Irene stood, knocking her chair back. Her hands sat firmly on her desk, her brown eyes excited. This was the first time Raven has ever spoken about love before, to anyone. Irene couldn't contain her happiness.

"Yeah... about that... I know for a fact who it is, but since my emotions have been so... weird? I can't help but feel... things... for someone I know."

Irene noticed the confusion on Raven's face.

Raven has no idea what is happening to her, huh? Poor girl.

Irene pulled a seat next to her, placing a hand on hers.

"Your emotions aren't the best right now. The emotionally-stable Raven wouldn't feel so bad about the war or crush on a guy. Who is the guy? I won't tell, promise."

Raven looked away, blushing a bit. She spoke in a soft whisper, making sure that only Irene can hear her.

"I am in love with Park Jimin."

And someone else named Bambam but I think the emotions are just getting to me.

I hate this.

Irene gasped, covering her mouth.

"No way! Oh, my gods! Ok, I will do my best to help you figure this out. For now, just try to relax and enjoy your trip across the high seas!"