Chapter 3 : Flashback

Leighanne

I woke up the next morning in Chris's bed still, hearing a loud conversation going on downstairs. I crept to the door and listened, being nosy.

"We have to send you there, CJ. I am tired of you acting out!" I heard Chris's dad yell.

"But dad, I'm trying to tell you-"

"Thats it, CJ! Its final!" Older Chris yelled. I heard footsteps walking up the stairs and I quickly ran back to Chris's bed and closed my eyes, pretending to sleep again.

I heard Chris walk in and slam the door, sitting on the bed and burying his head in his hands. I got up slowly, yawning and stretching, squinting my eyes at him to continue my act of now waking up.

"Chris...?" I whispered, sitting up.

"Hmm?" He asked, looking up at me.

"Whats wrong?" I asked, crawling to his side. He shook his head, looking down again.

"My parents said I'm moving to Florida with my grandmother after we graduate," He mumbled. I sighed, putting an arm around his shoulder. "They said they can't deal with me no more."

I hugged him quietly, thinking about how my life might be without Chris. Of course he was annoying and hard headed at times but he was my first and only real best friend, next to Ashley and Karma. I refused to let him go.

"You're not going anywhere," I declared. He looked up at me.

"What you mean?"

"I'm not letting your parents make you go," I insisted. "I'll talk to them myself."

"They not gonna listen to you, Leigh. Once they make up their minds about something, thats what they gonna do."

"What if my mom and dad talk to them?"

"Its not-"

"How do you know if we don't try?" I said, getting annoyed by his negativity.

"I think I know my own parents by now, Leighanne. What you want me to say? They gonna listen to you and your parents and change their minds? Its not gonna happen."

He got up and walked into the bathroom, closing the door. I rolled my eyes, grabbing my clothes from last night and putting it on. I guess that was my cue to go home.

Chris

I exhaled from the blunt in my hand and closed my eyes, letting the high sink it. I was chilling with Fizz and Relle by the warehouse, trying to release some stress.

"That nigga got a lot of nerves," Fizz said, taking the blunt from me. My eyes were low and I was at ease. The mention of Ace didn't even bug me.

"Did y'all go to jail?" Relle asked. I shook my head no.

"They just took us home."

"Daaamn, I bet ya mom flipped the fuck out," Fizz said.

"Hell yeah," I sighed. "She told my dad and now he's sending me to live with my grandma in Florida after graduation."

"Damn," They both mumbled, looking down.

We continued passing the blunt, staring off into space as the high deepened. By the time we were finished, I was on cloud 9, spacing out.

"I gotta get this nigga before I go," I mumbled. "Gotta make sure he's gone before he does some shit to Leigh and I'm not here to protect her."

"That nigga nothing but trouble," Fizz shook his head.