Chapter 13 : Back in Cali

Leighanne

"Leigh...Leigh...wake up," I heard Chris say, shaking me. I slowly got up to see he was already fully dressed. Then I glanced at the time, which read 5:30. "You gotta get ready."

I nodded and dragged myself outta bed. I went in the shower and got dressed in a simple hoodie, jeans, and my Fire Red Jordans to avoid bringing attention to myself. I tied my hair in a bun and joined Chris and Jaylen in the living room.

"Morning, baby girl, you ready?" Jaylen asked.

"Yeah," I said, half smiling.

"Okay well, I'm sending my right hand guy, Ossie, to go with you guys just in case."

A tall, brown skinned guy with dreads walked in with a cup of coffee. He was younger than Jaylen but way older than me and Chris.

"Good morning," He said, smiling at me.

"Good morning," I said back.

"We better start moving out. The earlier we get there, the better," Ossie said, walking through the door. "Boss, we'll call you."

"Alright, you two be safe, okay?" Jaylen said, hugging me and kissing my cheek. "Chris make sure she's alright."

"No doubt," Chris said, giving him a brief hug too. "We'll call you when we reach."

"Iight, then."

Me and Chris walked to Ossie's jeep and both got in the backseat since some other guy was in the front seat already. I guess it was Ossie's friend.

"Y'all this is my dawg, Lionel, he gonna be rolling with us."

"Sup," Chris gave Lionel a head nod.

"Hello," I waved at him.

"Wassup, y'all? Y'all ready for this shit?" Lionel asked. We both nodded and Ossie pulled away from Jaylen's house, heading towards the freeway.

Chris took my hand and squeezed it. I looked at him and he winked. I smiled, laying on his shoulder and falling back asleep. I really wasn't a morning person and it was way too early for me.

Chris

We pulled up into Cali at about 12 in the afternoon, cruising through familiar hoods and blocks. I told O my address so that I could drop in on my parents to check up on them first before I did anything else.

I nudged Leigh after we were in front of our houses and she got up.

"Oh my god," She mumbled, looking at her house.

"I'm gonna go see my parents. You could go check on yours too. Iight?" I started to take her hand but she pulled away.

"Chris, I don't think so. You should go by yourself."

"What? Why?"

"Because, I'm scared."

"Come on, Leigh, its gonna be iight," I assured her. She shook her head no. I sighed. "Fine, I'm coming back then okay?"

She nodded and I walked out and went to my front door. I took a deep breath before knocking. My mom answered and yelled, pulling me into a tight hug.

"CJ! Where the hell have you been?!" She cried. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt?"

"Ma, I'm fine, I just-"

"Why didn't you call me? Where did you go?"

"Look, ma, I can't really get into it but I'm in danger."

"Danger?!"

I nodded. "Me and Leigh are. And we can't stay here until its over."

"Baby, whatever trouble you're in, we can help. Just tell me whats going on!" She pleaded.