Chapter Seven: The Quest Begins

As soon as I turned my head for a minute, I heard an icy cry echo throughout the habitats

As soon as I turned my head for a minute, I heard an icy cry echo throughout the habitats. I turned my head and found Mr. Kowalski walking towards the ice habitat where a small but black mass was suspended in midair. It was an Obscurus. Something that daddy had found long before he found me. My heart started to pound in my chest as I saw Mr. Kowalski getting closer to it and was reaching out to touch it.

"Daddy! Daddy!" I yelled in fright. Mr. Kowalski couldn't touch it or it was going to kill him.

I saw Daddy run into the habitat and grabbed Mr. Kowalski's arm, which snapped him out of his trance. "Step back."

"What's the matter with this?" Mr. Kowalski asked in fright.

"I said step back." Daddy said as he and Mr. Kowalski exited the icy habitat. I looked back and frowned sadly at the Obscurus. Daddy told me the story of where he found it and it wasn't a pretty tale. In fact, the first time he told me the story, he cried into my shoulder for a good five minutes.

"Emma." Daddy shook my shoulder gently and snapped me out of my thoughts, "We need to get going now. Before they get hurt. Let's get you dressed."

"Okay." I nodded and held up my arms for him to pick me up. Daddy smiled and kneeled down, picking me up and putting me in his arms as we walked into the Savannah habitat.

"Wait, before they get hurt?" Mr. Kowalski asked.

"Yes, Mr. Kowalski. They're currently in alien terrain surrounded by millions of the most dangerous creatures on the planet." Daddy explained.

I looked back to see Mr. Kowalski was confused. "Humans." I cleared up.

Daddy and I looked around at the Savannah habitat to find it empty. Of course she escaped.. "Tell me, where would you say a medium-sized creature that likes broad opens plains, trees, water holes, that kind of thing, where might she go?"

"In New York City?" Mr. Kowalski asked awkwardly.

"Yes."

"Plains? Um... Central Park."

"And where is that?" I asked.

"Where's Central Park?" Mr. Kowalski sighed softly, "Look, I would come and show you two, but don't you think it's kind of a double cross? The girls take us in, they make us cocoa-"

"You do realize that when they see you've stopped sweating, they'll Obliviate you in a heartbeat?" Daddy asked.

"What's Obliviate mean?"

"It's like when you wake up and all memory of magic, the case, and all of us will be forgotten." I explained.

"I won't remember any of this? I won't remember you guys?" Daddy and I shook our heads as Mr. Kowalski took a breath, "Alright, yeah, I'm fine."

"Good. Let's get ready to leave." Daddy said with a small smile as he ran off to get me dressed. Well, it looked like I wasn't going to be sleeping just yet, but that was okay. Our adventure had finally began to find all the creatures!