Chapter Nine: Interrogation

"Scamander?" Was the first voice I heard that finally spoke amongst the crowd

"Scamander?" Was the first voice I heard that finally spoke amongst the crowd. I knew that voice; It was the British Minister of Magic.

"Oh, hello, Minister." My daddy replied awkwardly.

"Theseus Scamander? The war hero?" Another man asked. Wait, they knew Uncle Theseus? I didn't know that Uncle Theseus fought in a war? Did he fight in the war Jacob was talking about?

"No, this is his little brother. And what in the name of Merlin are you doing in New York? And where is your daughter?" The minister asked.

"Emma and I came to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir. She's at our hotel right now, asleep." Daddy lied.

"Right. What are you really doing here? And where is Emma, really?" The minister asked again, growing suspicious of daddy.

I couldn't take this. I hated waiting down here. I instantly climbed up the stairs, not caring at all if I was in nothing but my sleep nightgown and my socks, and came right out of the case. "I'm right here, Mr. Minister!" I exclaimed.

I heard a ton of people gasp upon seeing me as I looked around to see all eyes were glued on me. I now realized that we were in a large grey room with two rows of different people on each side of the room and President Picquery in the middle. I even spotted that Mr. Graves man from earlier. And then I turned and spotted Miss Goldstein, who looked at me with fear in her eyes and was shaking violently. What did she do?

"Emma, I told you to stay down there." Daddy whispered to me. I could see in his eyes that he was now truly scared, but why?

"I'm sorry, daddy, I couldn't leave you up here." I replied, holding his hand tightly.

"Goldstein, who is this?" President Picquery asked, motioning to Jacob and ignoring both daddy and I. I swear, it's like she was blind.

"This is Mr. Kowalski, Madam President. He's the No-Maj who got bitten by one of Mr. Scamander's creatures." Miss Goldstein blurted out to her.

I turned my head and looked at her in shock. Why was she doing this? Was she trying to get us in trouble. "Miss Goldstein?" I tried to whisper to her, but she pretended to ignore me as I heard furious whispers from everyone in the room about Jacob being a No-Maj.

"Merlin's bread." Daddy whispered in shock.

"What?" I asked and looked up at where daddy was looking. I gasped at see a hologram image of a dead man's body, which floated above our heads. All long his face were strange scratch marks.

"And do you know which of your creatures was responsible for this, Mr. Scamander?" A woman asked.

"No creature did this... Don't pretend. You must know what it was. Look at the marks.." Daddy replied, trying to think of what could've killed this man.

I blinked and tried to think as well. It couldn't have been a Swooping Evil and it definitely couldn't have been a Niffler. Not a Erumpent, an Occamy, or Frank... There was only one thing it could've been.