Chapter 14

Kamaji went back to work and I slowly sipped the liquid in the chipped cup. My breath had regulated and the blood around my nose had dried. I took this time to examine Kamaji. He was hard at work.

Taking this opportunity I slowly set the cup down on the floor and got onto all fours. My knees wobbled along with my shoulders, but I took a deep breath and continued with my plan.

I quietly crawled across the floor to the wooden door into the bathhouse. I peeked over my shoulder just as I'd reached the door to confirm Kamaji hadn't noticed.

Thankfully he hadn't, so without any further hesitation I slid the door open quietly and slipped into the dark.

Making a break for it I ran through the busy kitchen, avoiding everyone I could. I ducked under trays and in between frog workers. I'd made my way to a rarely used staircase up to my room.

Once I reached the room I carefully peered inside to make sure everyone was downstairs and working. To my relief the room was empty. Quickly I stripped myself of the muddy and ripped dress. Without even bother with sizing I grabbed the first uniform I could find and I slipped into the thick fabric.

Wasting no more time I rushed to the elevator that went up to Yubaba's office.

The slow pace of the elevator made the ride seem like an eternity. The second the door opened I slipped out and sprinted to Yubaba's giant door.

Forgetting all formalities and manners I pounded on the door.

"Yubaba! Open the doors! Please!" I yelled, still pounding on the door.

"What a rude girl, demanding the door to be open while her shoes are gone and her face is bloody and caked in mud!" The little face on the knocker mocked me.

"Oh shove it..." I grumbled, using all my strength to rip open the door.

I ran forward and threw open every door that stood in my way. Finally reaching Yubaba's office I realized that it was empty.

"HAKU!" I called. "HAKU!"

I wandered the huge room, peeking into the door next to Yubaba's desk. It looked like a nursery.

I doubt he went in there...

Closing the door I continued to explore the empty office. I went down a weird hallway that led to a huge room with a glass wall and door leading to a balcony.

I pressed my face up against the glass of the door and scanned the balcony. My eyes noticed a blob of white through the darkness.

Flinging open the door I ran out onto the dark balcony.

"Haku!" I breathed a sigh of relief.

My eyes adjusted to the dark and I saw Haku's figure sitting at the corner of the balcony, back pressed against one of the glass walls. Slowly I approached him and sat down next to him. My heart started to beat faster.

I found him, and he's okay.

"Haku you scared me when you took off like that." I said softly, realizing that I'd come all this way to tell Haku how I really felt, and that was terrifying.

"I can't stand being around you. I can never read you, you're guarded and abrasive, yet, I desperately want to know what's going on in your head." Haku's voice still held notes of regret and anger.

"Haku I never meant to hurt you... I built up these walls so I myself wouldn't get hurt, I was so scared of my own feelings I never even took into consideration how you felt, or anyone else for that matter. I've been living in this world for so long and I thought all that I wanted was to be back in the human wold... but what I realized when we were there is that's not what I want... I want to be with you Haku." The words couldn't stop coming, it was as if someone had turned on a sink and now the handle was stuck on full blast. "I know it hasn't seemed that way but you're so important to me and when you told me how you felt back at the forest entrance I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was so surreal and wonderful and horrible all at the same time." I paused to take a breath but Haku cut me off.