Chapter 16

Once the bridge was in sight I saw Haku standing by the garden gate, waiting... for me.

I beamed and ran up to him. He was facing the bathhouse, obviously expecting me to be coming from there, so when I ran into him, engulfing him in a hug I kinda startled him.

"What the- Rin? What were you doing over there?" He asked in shock, slowly wrapping his arms around me.

It took me a second to answer because being in his arms was such a new and wonderful experience I don't think I'll ever get used to.

"Kohaku River And (y/n)..." I whispered into his chest and I continued to hug him.

"What did you say?" He questioned in disbelief.

"Kohaku River," I beamed looking up at him and pointing to him. "And (y/n)." I said, pointing at myself.

His mouth hung open in disbelief as he looked down at me in his arms. Slowly the corners of his mouth curved upwards into a smile.

"(y/n)!" He laughed, hugging me tightly before twirling me around in joy. "(y/n), (y/n)..." he whispered softly as he began to slow his spin down, eventually bringing me back to the ground. "My (y/n)..." He breathed happily, his head resting on my shoulder.

"My Haku..." I smiled into his chest.

"But my contract still isn't broken..." Haku sighed in defeat, taking a step away from the sweet embrace.

"I can help with that." I beamed.

"How-How did you find out?" He asked, smiling like a goof.

"Chihiro, she came back. I heard her calling for you so I found her and she told me everything Haku, we can be free together now!" I explained in excitement.

"Does that... does that mean you're gonna go back to the human world?" Haku asked carefully.

I took a step forward and gripped Haku's hands gingerly.

"No. I exist here, with you." I told him.

Haku pressed his lips together, forming a smile that was definitely holding tears back.

"C'mon, let's go find Kamaji, we have a few things to do before we can be free." I said and Haku nodded, grabbing my hand and leading me back to the bathhouse.

Once we reached the boiler room we woke Kamaji and told him everything. He was a bit overwhelmed by our story, but he agreed to help. He told us about the train and the sixth stop, swamp bottom. He told us that's where we'd be able to find Zeniba. He promised to explain things to Lin if she came looking for us.

"Thanks Kamaji." I hugged him, grateful for all he's done for me over the years.

"Of course, now go on you two!" He chuckled.

We waved him goodbye bye as we crossed back over the soot sprites work floor. The sprites gathered at our feet, jumping and scuttling around, a cute goodbye of sorts.

Once we got outside we made our way down to the tracks which were flooded from the rain.

"We don't have any tickets, how are we supposed to board?" I asked as we walked along the tracks.