Jacob Grayson Helms

Mary Ellen

Grayson doesn't look so good, he backed up slowly and sat down. "I'll get you some water." I started to walk past him, but he grabbed my wrist and looked up at me.

"How could you do this to me?" He asked with the most pitiful eyes, I could feel the tears starting to build.

"I'll get your water." I pulled away and went to the vending machine. I feel like my whole world is crashing in on me, and the machine won't take my dollar.

I pounded on it and kicked it until I succumbed to a full-on sob. I dropped to the floor and put my hands on my face, then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Mom?"

I looked up and saw a younger version of Grayson looking down at me. "Are you okay?"

I wiped my tears away, and tried to compose myself. "I'm fine sweetie, it's just been a long day."

I stood and tried the machine again, his water finally fell and I reached down for it.

"Come on, I guess now is better than never." I took his hand and a deep breath, as we walked back to the recording studio.

I pulled Jacob in behind me, and Grayson quickly stood. I handed him his water, but his hands were shaking.

"Jacob this is Grayson."

My little guy held out his hand, and his father shook it for the first time, but the man still looked pitiful.

"Grayson, just like my name mom."

I ran my fingers through his blonde hair. "I know, Jacob Grayson Helms"

Grayson just said hello, but looked too shocked to say much.

Grayson pulled a pen and card from his jacket. His hand shook as he wrote something down before handing it to me.

"Meet me at the hotel bar at 7 pm, my number is on the other side."

He walked away and I just stared at the card. I'm smart enough to know this would happen someday, but I thought I had more time.

I decided to verify what Grayson just said, and did some research of my own. I didn't check up with my old town during all these years, I wanted to leave it in the past, so I shut out everything from that place. When I got home I sat down at my computer.

There it was, everything I needed to know. Local news from home, and it did say Kathryn and Gabe did it all. There was also an article about Grayson being arrested about a week after the incident for beating Gabe to a pulp. It's such a small town, the whole ordeal was probably breaking news.

I've been wrong all along.

Preston was disappointed when he found out Grayson never knew about his son. I hated the way he looked at me, and it's obvious what I did wasn't any better than the two that hurt us.

My loving boyfriend offered to go with me tonight, but I feel I owe Grayson my time alone with him.

I had my driver take me to the hotel, and what I saw when I walked into that bar, was a broken man. A very broken man, and it's all my fault.