My Loss

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

I decided to take Jacob with me to my concert in Chicago, then send Wendy back to Hawaii alone. Jacob says Grayson is home now from New York. I wish I could have left Hawaii sooner, but that's the down side of working under a contract.

I have known what I've wanted for years, even if it means going back to the hell hole of my childhood, I'll be there.

I hired a driver that picked us up at the airport, and took us to the one place I was determined to never step foot in again.

The drive was rough as I am so sick with this pregnancy. The concert was so hard, my partner in crime Chase, that sings with me on occasion and plays the drums, guessed my predicament at our first rehearsal.

"What's wrong, Mom? Why won't you get better?" Jacob asked.

I can't let my son think I'm dying or something, he's been so concerned.

"Jacob, I'm okay, but I do need to tell you something."

"Okay."

"When a woman carries a baby, she gets really sick in the beginning. I'm pregnant, and in about 7 months you're going to be a big brother."

He tilts his head. "Preston is going to be a dad?"

"No honey, this baby belongs to your dad." He smiled ear to ear.

"Dad's? Dad's!! We are going to be a family, aren't we?"

"I hope so sweetie."

The rest of the day he was on cloud nine. I told him I was willing to spend time here in this town, if it meant having hs father back with us. I'll do anything to make this work, but I have to get Grayson to talk to me. I did warn Jacob that his father could have had a change of heart, but he didn't believe it for a second.

I wouldn't have told Jacob if I wasn't so sick. I'm abnormally sick, meaning I'm barely functioning, it was not like this with Jacob.

We checked in to the motel in town.

"Mom, why don't you drive?"

"Well, I never had the resources growing up to learn, and I actually never wanted to learn after my father's accident."

"I'll drive you everywhere in my Impala someday." He keeps flipping a coin he's been playing with.

"I can't wait, now let's get to bed early, and go see Dad first thing in the morning."

That next morning was the hardest yet. Jacob tried to comfort me as I could barely get off the bathroom floor. It finally somewhat passed after some ginger ale and crackers, and we got ready to leave. Jacob is extra careful around me, and he knows how terrible I feel. I love how caring my son is with me, he can be so much like his father.

I tried to remember the route to the hill from our time together, and Jacob helped since he was just here not too long ago.

When the house came into view it took my breath away. It was exactly the way Grayson always dreamed, it's absolutely beautiful.

Jacob hopped out of the car and ran for the door, but it was locked so he rang the doorbell and pounded on it. "Dad's home because that's his truck." He pointed.

He rang again and pounded on the door.

"I swear to fucking god this better be important!' I heard from the other side, and my jaw dropped. What in the hell?

The door opened, and Graysons pissed off look turned into one of shock.

"Hi Dad!"

Grayson stood there with a red face and chest. Only wearing sweatpants, and trying quickly to throw on his shirt to hide what is very noticeably hard inside those sweatpants.

"Jacob, why are you here?" He looked at me, but I could feel the bile rise in my throat.

"Mom and I have something awesome to tell you!" Jacob has no clue.

"Who is it Gray?"

A drop dead gorgeous brunette walked into view in only one of his shirts, and my body began to shake. I turned as I heard Jacob. "Who is that, Dad?"

"You didn't answer me, why are you here?"

"I hate you. I hate you so bad, and I wish you weren't my dad!" Jacob ran past me as I started to feel dizzy.

"Jacob, wait!" Grayson called after him. "Dammit, Mary Ellen!"

"Mom!" My own little boy held on to me as I barely made my way to the car. I got in and Grayson was running down the lawn.

"Drive!" I yelled, and Grayson beat on the window until our car gained enough speed.

I was so sick and dizzy, but I reached for Jacob and pulled him into a hug. "It's going to be okay." He sobbed.

I did the worst thing to my son. I gave him hope, when I didn't even know myself. I shouldn't have any in the first place.

I'm glad we only planned one night in that motel. "Take us straight to the airport please."

The words I said to Grayson that night. The words he filtered out, could have saved us so much pain.

"Being with you is never a mistake, but I will need some time to settle some things."

"Time? After all the time we lost together?"

"Grayson I owe Preston time to move out of my home, to break up with him, and not jump right in with you. I've deceived him and even though..."

He stormed out and left.

He has avoided me since that night, and today was supposed to be the day I put an end to all of it. Hell, if he wouldn't have avoided me, he would have known that I didn't need but a few days. I just didn't want Jacob to say something to Preston innocently that would hurt him. I wanted to be as easy on him as possible.

Preston needed to know before Jacob.