The Letter

Mary Ellen

I was saying goodbye to Preston when my phone buzzed, but it can wait until he's out the door. 

He had his arms wrapped around my waist and mine were on his shoulders.  "I'll be back in a week, and since we didn't talk to Jacob together, please have an answer for me when I get back."

"Okay."  He kissed me so tenderly. "See you Friday." 

"Bye"

I blew him a kiss then ordered myself some room service, since I finally feel like I can breathe now.  He's putting so much pressure on me on top of what I'm dealing with, as far as Grayson.

I took a glass of wine and my phone out to the balcony for some alone time before Jacob returns.

I got a text from an unknown number.

Open the attachment -Grayson

I did it with reservation, and read a letter that's dated over ten years ago.

"Gabe,

Jason said Gray's parents will be out of town on Friday night and Gray also told him he's hoping to rent movies and have a quiet night.  Ever since that bitch came out of her shell and sang, Gray hasn't done anything with us.  I have an idea.

Kathryn knows where they hide the spare key.  We can plant a camera in his room and record them fucking.  The most brilliant part is that Kathryn has access to the AV room and can swap out the tradition graduation video and put in the sex video.  It's going to be so epic and there's no way we could possibly get caught.  We will call it D-Day.

I hope you're on board because Gray is your friend too and he deserves better. 

Talk soon!  Allison."

I'm tired off everything.  What am I supposed to think?

Grayson is engaged and he is expecting a child with this woman, now he just threw her under the bus.

My room service came, and I ate blissfully alone on the terrace.  The view is beautiful while the sounds of waves and wildlife is calming.

"Mom!"  Jacob came running.  "We took out a jetski!  Then we went snorkeling and ate downstairs.  Can you go with us tomorrow, Please?"

"I have to work tomorrow bud." 

"Maybe after work?  Please?"

"We'll see, go get your shower."

"Awe man."  He stomped off.

The next day was short and easy at work.  We just had to go over the script. 

As soon as I walked in the door from work, Jacob was bouncing around like he's on top of the world.

"What's up bud?" 

"Dad bought us hot air baloon tickets!"

"He's Dad now, huh?" 

"Yeah, we talked about it."  He shrugged his shoulders.

"Alright, well I promised we would spend time together, so I better get changed."  I tugged his ear.  "Love ya kid."

"Back at ya, mom."

I changed into a maxi dress and put my hair up.  I've never been in a hot air balloon and the thought actually makes be a bit nervous.  I mean your life is literally in the hands of hot air. 

"Dad said he's not supposed to come up here anymore, so we have to meet him downstairs."  He plopped down on the couch.  Maybe now is a good time to talk.

"Jacob, I need to talk to you about something. "

"Alright."

"I want your opinion on something. Preston asked me to marry him, and I want to know how that makes you feel." I might as well come straight out with it.

"Why do you want to do that, when you haven't even done family stuff with me and Dad yet?"  He asked.

"I don't want you to think your dad and I will ever get married.  He is already engaged.  Sweetie, your dad and I loved each other and that's how we got you, but now I've got Preston, and he has Allison.  We weren't meant to be together, but we can still be friends."

The hell I'll ever be around Allison.  Jacob doesn't have a choice, and that's bad enough.  If we do things together, it'll have to be minus Allison.

"I don't want you to get married.  Why now?  Things are fine just like this, and I don't want Dad to get married either!"

"If you think I'll ever keep your dad away again, you're wrong. I love how the two of you spend time together.  It won't happen, I promise.  No matter if we are married to other people or not, you're always going to be my top priority."  I said.

"You're going to marry Preston anyway, so why did you ask me?  I don't care anymore."  He walked off to his room, but I followed.

"Don't you like Preston?"

"Yeah, but he would be my step dad and I just got my real Dad." 

"He could never replace your real dad.  Preston likes that you and your Dad spend time together."  I assured him.

"Preston is the reason Dad can't even come up here and see me." 

"That was me, and I'll tell him it's okay.  There's just a lot of hurt feelings right now between your dad and I, so we need to work through them, but that wasn't Preston's fault." 

He just looked down at his little car in his hand. 

"Okay, let's drop it for now.  We better get going."  I said.

Jacob was quiet the whole way down to the lobby.  I saw Grayson facing the doors and Jacob still didn't speak to even acknowledge his father.

"Grayson."  He turned and I saw he doesn't look good. He actually looks like he's just overwhelmed and hasn't gotten any sleep. 

"Are you guys ready?"  He put on a fake smile.

"Yep, aren't we Jacob?"

"I guess." 

Grayson looked at me questioning Jacobs demeanor.

"He's upset with me, it's not you."  I said as we walked to the car.  To say it feels awkward won't justify the tension in the air. 

Grayson opened my door for me, and then went to the drivers side.  He must have rented a car for the day, because mostly everything we need is here at the resort.