Chapter 23

Melody POV (different life)

I was in the library trying to find Divergent when I met him in the library.

"The librarian said it was somewhere over here..." I muttered as I made my way to the back of the huge library. Divergent was an old book, but my friends told me it was really good and popular back in the early 21st century. I soon spotted a ladder and grinned to myself as I also saw Divergent, but it was way up high so I couldn't reach.

I'm so glad I have this ladder. I was pretty scared of heights and the ladder has wheels... I took out a heavy dictionary and set it down next to the wheel so the ladder wouldn't move. I grinned at myself and gave myself a mental pat in the back because I'm so smart.

I got on the ladder and started making my way up but like the smart person I looked down to see how high up I was the results did not make me happy. I was really high! I could back down now...

No Melanie, You will not back down now! You're almost at the top!

I sighed and kept climbing trying to avoid the thought wondering 'how high am I now?' I saw the Divergent book but it was a little farther than I expected. I groaned and stretched my arm out to get the book.

Almost there!

I groaned when my blonde hair fell over my face, I tried to push it back with my hand but I lost my balance and I was having trouble keeping it balanced sine I was looking directly at the ground. I was really high up!

My heart felt like it was in my throat as I screamed at and unnatural high pitch. My heart thudded against my chest the only sound I could hear until I hear someone yell at me, "Hey! Watch out you're going to fall!" Someone yelled below me and I saw it was a guy I couldn't make out his features completely, but make out some black hair.

Screech

What was that?!

SCREECH

Oh my god it sounds like a cat scratching a blackboard! I then knew what was going on. The ladder was going to move. I tried to scream but no sound came out. I got dizzy for a moment my heart was racing like it was running a marathon inside my chest. I was so scared my mouth was dry and I think I'm going to faint any minute now.

Then it moved.

This time I didn't even try to scream because I fell of the ladder my vision getting blurry and going black. My body went limp as I fell everything seemed to go in slow motion I heard a guy scream my name. I saw the ladder tumbling over to my opposite side.

I even saw a small flash of the Divergent book and I could see myself throwing it across a white room screaming "I died for you!"

~*~*~*~*~*~

I opened my eyes to stare back at a pair of golden eyes. He had jet black hair and his face was well defined as if made by the gods and I instantly recognized him. It was Dylan Ryder the school's football quarterback.

I was in his arms right now he just saved me... Maybe I hit my head really hard and this is an illusion. "Are you okay?" He asks me with a worried expression. I manage to nod "I'm fine just let me just get up" He lets me down gently on the floor and I didn't know he was carrying until now.

I tried to stand up but a lain soared through my back, I guess falling from a ladder onto guys strong arms wasn't going to help me avoid pain. I whimpered and fell back into his arms. "You're not fine should I go call someone?" He asks and I shook my head.