thugs don't cry.

Bey

-

3 weeks later

Weeks went by and school actually started. We were in school before, but now we're in school school where they actually start giving out assignments and things get a lot more intense.

I'm currently taking my braids out while studying for my algebra 2 test, not sure why a quadratic function is a thing but the first person to discover it must have been bored as hell.

I sat in front of my laptop on the floor sitting criss cross, my phone was charging on the bed.

As I combed through my hair I watched youtube videos on the quadratic formula, and it was honestly boring the hell out of me.

Onika and I had grown closer, but as friends. We're with each other from the bus ride to school to first block, then we scatter our separate ways until we meet again for lunch. She has been trying to push up, but decline after decline she's been chilling lately. She insists that I call her Nicki but Onika just fits her so much better.

My phone rang, snapping me out of my thoughts. I pulled the braiding hair and removed it from my actual hair and reached for my phone to answer it. Speak of the devil.

Onika and I had exchanged numbers just a few days ago.

I set the phone landscape on my laptop since it was a facetime call rather than a regular phone call. 

"Hello?" I said.

"Wassup Bey," she said, the phone had been facing the ceiling so I couldn't see her face at all.

"The ceiling," she knows I hate being on facetime and not being able to see the person's face.

"Haha, very funny," she adjusted the camera to meet her face.

"Much better kid."

"Kid? I'm a grown ass woman."

"Grown? You're like 3 feet tall."

"Oh you got jokes huh?"

We both laughed.

"Anyways assface, my mom is having a house warming party, would you like to come? It's this Saturday."

"Why I gotta be an assface?"

"Yes or no Giselle."

"Yeah I'll come."

"Cool, it starts at 5, but expect it to be on black people time."

I laughed, "I bet, aye, y'all cookin those exquisite Trini dishes?"

"First of all I know you ain't say 'exquisite Trini dishes,' bye."

I chuckled uncontrollably, "I'm deadass, as y'all new yorkers like to say."

"Word ma, hella exquisite trini dishes ova here," she said emphasizing her accent.

"Damn," I accidentally said aloud.

She licked her lips, "what happened?"

"Nothing, I gotta go though. I have to finish taking my hair out before my mom gets home and study for my algebra test."

"Oh okay, I can help you with the algebra stuff though, just text me if you're really struggling."

"I'll think about it."

"Ugh, bye Giselle."

The facetime call ended. A party, at Nicki's house?

Wait, that means I would have to meet her family and Lord knows I'm horrible at making first impressions.