Chapter Two

"Who are you?" Willy blurted out when he approached them. MJ flashed him a glare, but the men turned to him, eyeing him curiously. The younger one smiled at Willy.

"Are you Will Jr?" He asked. Willy flinched a bit.

"It's Willy." Willy said dully. The older man let out a bark of laughter and smacked the other playfully on the shoulder.

"I like this kid!" He said as the younger man glared at him. He wasn't exactly young, it was around late forties, but the other man looked like he may be going on his seventies even though he looked as fit as the younger one.

"Well, Willy. This is Halt, and my name is Will." He said, holding out his hand. Willy froze and stared at Wills hand. He had never met his grandfather, only MJ had been able too when he had spent the summer at his cabin in Araluen to train to become a ranger. But Abby refused to let Willy go, saying he was too young. But somehing was familiar with this man. He had the same sparkling brown eyes and unruly hair as his mother. Willy knew that this was the grandfather he had always wanted to meet. Willy slowly shook his hand and Will grinned at him. He glanced at Halt and Halt got the message. He placed Willy's hand on his shoulder and began to led him away, but Willy stopped to see MJ and Will talking. He eased out of the old mans grip and ran back to his brother and grandfather. He held the throwing knife out to MJ.

"I'm sorry I took it, Mik." Willy said calling MJ by his old nickname from when they were little. MJ took back the knife and slid it into his double scabbard.

"No problem Willy. And I'm sorry too, I didn't mean anything I said." MJ mumbled. Willy gave him a goofy grin and tackled his brother in a hug. MJ was startled at first, but them hesitently returned the embrace. When Willy pulled away, he saw Will grinning.

"Aw! Okay, Willy, go with Halt now, I need to speak with your brother."

***

Willy led Halt to their house that was next to the eating house that Willy's Grandmother, Karina ran. Abby would help quite often too when she wasn't busy. It was Willy and MJs job to start the fires each morning in the kitchen so the ovens would be hot and ready when their grandmother was ready to bake.

   Willy opened the door and stomped his boots off outside before entering the house, hearing Halt follow his example.

"Willy? Is that you? I've been so worried about you, where have you been?!?" His mother came running out of the kitchen and she froze when she caught sight of Halt. Willy could see his mothers eyes were filled with tears and she threw her arms around Halts neck, wrapping him in a bone crushing embrace.

"Halt!" She squealed. Halt let out a small chuckle and gave her a kiss on her cheek. Abby straightned out her dress and turned to Willy.

"Where have you been?" She asked more firmly this time. Will bit his lip. He didn't want to tell on MJ now, not after he had apoligized. MJ would surely come after him if he told.

"I...um, I went for a walk through the woods, and lost track of time." He lied, feeling instant guilt for lying to his mother.

"Oh, look at you Willy, you're soaked! Go get changed, quickly before you catch a cold." She said. She ushered him into the bedroom he shared with MJ. He pulled the door shut so it was open just a crack and he could still hear Abby and Halt talking.

"MJ? Why?" He heard his mother say.

"He's a hard worker. Unless you don't think it's a good idea?" Halt said. Abby shook her head.

"No, no, I think it's a great idea. MJ and Willy don't get a long at all. If MJ leaves for a while, it'll allow Willy to focus on other things rather then fighting with his brother." Abby said. Halt nodded. Willy listened carefully as he pulled off his sodden trousers and slipped into dry ones.

"It'll only be four years, Ab. It'll be over before you know it. By the time he's a senior, Willy will be in brotherband training. It's best for them both." Halt said. Abby nodded and Willy slipped a new shirt over his head and ran back into the main room where his mother was speaking with her grandfather.

"Where is MJ going?" Willy asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. Halt groaned as he lowered himself down into a chair.

"MJ is coming to Araluen the day of his birthday. He will become a rangers apprentice." Halt said causally. Willy felt instant jealousy. MJ had been to Araluen twice now, and Willy had never been once. MJ talked about how green it was there and how warm it was compared to Skandia.

"Oh." Willy said hanging his head. Halt let out a sigh and placed his hand on Willy's shoulder.

"You'll be fine Will." He said. Willy glared at him.

"Please don't call me that." He said dully. Halt gave him a raised eyebrow before looking up at Abby, who shrugged.

"Willy...MJ will be trained to become a ranger. When he gets home, you'll be training to be in a brotherband. You'll get to do what you love, and MJ will do the same." Halt said. Willy let out a sigh.

"I don't wanna be in a brotherband. I know nobody will pick me. Just like they did with the Herons. I'll be forced into one and they won't like me." He said bitterly.

"That's not true, Willy..." But Willy cut him off.

"Yes it is! Nobody likes me already! The only one who talks to be is Bente, and she is just being nice." Willy felt tears forming in his eyes. He had always wanted to tell someone how he felt. He felt like all his anger was bottled up and he was really just scared that it would come true. His own father hadn't been picked into a brotherband! He was forced. A tear ran down his cheek and he wiped it away before pulling back and running out of the house and running into MJ as he walked up to the house. He knocked his brother over which earned him a nasty glare before he stumbled to his feet and ran to the one place he knew he could be alone.