Chapter Four

Abby was surprised when her father came back that night carrying her son across his shoulder. She knew that Willy must have put up some kind of fight, But Will refused to take No for an answer. Will set Willy down and Willy glared at them all.

"Willy, Go to bed." Abby said. He mumbled goodnight and kissed Abby on her cheek, handed Will his cloak back and slipped into his bedroom.

"Where did you go?" MJ asked as Willy laid down on his bed. MJ's bed was opposite of his, so he turned to face his brother, pulling his wool blankets up to his neck and hugging it.

"To Bearclaw." Willy said.

"Why there?" MJ asked, but Willy didn't answer, he was already fast asleep.

***

"Bye MJ!" Willy heard some Skandian girl call from the shore. MJ smiled a bit and grabbed his pack, stuffing it under some canvas near the bow of the ship. He then stored his bow there also. He came back onto the shore and embraced his mother before stopping at Willy.

"Um...bye Willy." He said. They then shared an equally awkard hug and then MJ waved to everyone else before joining Will, Halt, His father, and his uncle Hal on the deck of the Heron. That day was MJs fifteenth birthday, and Hal and his crew was taking Halt, Will and MJ back to Araluen. Willy watched in envy as his brother boarded the amazing ship and they sailed away. He stood there staring off into the distance as the Heron faded into the horizon. The crowd that had gathered to bid farewell, slowly left, leaving Willy and Abby alone. She placed her hand on his shoulder and slowly drew him into an embrace. She ran her fingers through his dark hair and kissed his forehead.

"Come on, let's go home baby." She said taking his hand. Since he was her youngest child, she babyed him, even if he didn't like it. His twelfth birthday was in three days, and the one thing He had been looking foreward too was a ride on the Heron, as his uncle had promised. But now that wouldn't happen, because that ship was taking his brother to a country that Willy had never even seen.

***

The morning of his birthday arrived, and he woke to the delicious smell of eggs and bacon. He quickly pulled on some fresh clothes and ran into the kitchen too see his mother placing some eggs on his plate. She smiled at him and kissed his cheek, wishing him happy birthday before handing him his plate. They sat down and ate quickly before Abby smiled at him.

"I took the day off from the eating house, so we can do whatever you'd like today." She said. He thought for a moment, thinking of things he could do with his mother. Obviously he couldn't take her to go pick pockets, since she was completely against it.

"What about a walk through the woods?" He asked. She nodded.

"Sure. We just need to dress warm, it snowed again last night." She said. He rolled his eyes.

"Yes Mam."

    Soon they were bundled up and walking through the peaceful woods that surrounded their house. Birds chirpped about them and Abby kept pointing out fresh animal tracks and telling him what speicies it was and how long ago it passed by, things she had learned from her father when she was little. They finally reached a clearing and Abby smiled a bit.

"This is the place your father and I had our first kiss." She said. Willy had a look of disgust, and Abby smirked. "And where you and MJ both began..." He cut her off by groaning.

"Please stop Mam!" He said disgusted by the matter. As said before, he was still getting out of the phase where girls were gross. Abby chuckled and took his arm, leading him back towards the house.