Chapter Fourteen

"Willy!" Someone shouted his name and he bolted up straight in his bed roll, and his forehead collided with someone else's. Quint's.

"Ow! Quint!" Willy closed his eyes and held his head, groaning slightly at the pain throbing through his skin. When he opened his eyes, he could see Quint doing the same. Two of the boys, Grong and Oilge were holding in their laughter as they watched their skirl and first mate in pain.

"Alright ladies, enough already." Hals voice came. Hal entered their campsite with a grin. Willy stood and stowed away his bed roll before joining the others gathered around the fire Farrel had lit. Boyd was currently making them a light breakfast.

"This is something new they've added onto the training, so you boys need to listen carefully. I'm going to take you out on your new ship, which has been supplied to you by the shipyard. Since Willy has been taking helmsmen lessons, he will be at the steering oar while I make sure he's doing it correctly. You boys will be tested on your ability to listen to Willy and Quint, and your knowledge of each task given. Now, I don't want to die, so try to behave." Hal explained, earning a few chuckles from Dannie and Kerk. Hal ignored them and continued. "We are headed to Celtica and we will have three passengers with us, along with the new ranger, MJ, that we must deliver safely to the country. If we fail, The Oberjarl will skin you all." Willy felt his throat tighten as Hal said the words. Three passengers? To Celtica? The only people in Skandia currently that were headed to Celtica was Sir Preston and his father, who would be accompanied by...Bente. Two weeks on a ship with Bente and her Fiancée. Two miserable weeks.

   Hal clapped his hands together and beamed.

"Lets go boys!" Willy took in a deep breath, pushing Bente out of his mind. She was no longer his, so he needed to forget her. She was officially out of his life.

"Lets go Hounds. Let's show the others what a real brotherband is!" Willy said. The others cheers and grabbed their weapons and packs, following Willy to the shipyard.

***

   MJ grabbed his pack and looked around his tighty cabin, sad that he had to leave so soon, since he was just getting settled. Edvin had asked MJ if he would join Bente in her journey to Celtica, to insure her safety. MJ was tempted to refuse knowing that Bente was the cause of his little brothers suffering, but when he found out it would be Willy's crew, the Hounds, taking her, he knew he couldn't let his brother suffer. Willy needed him to help him forget about her.

   Shutting the door and locking it, he made his way out of the neat cabin and into the fresh spring air. It was almost summer, and the snow was melted, leaving the ground moist and rich for the up coming crops. Not many Skandians were farmers, only enough to sastain the whole village, though MJ knew there were more farmers the deeper into the country they got. As the new ranger of the village, it was his job to insure the safety of the crops and its farmers. He needed to have regular meetings with Oberjarl Erak to discuss to villages health and safety. Leaving it for just a month seemed excessive, But the Oberjarl reassured MJ, telling him in his loud booming voice that echoed across the great hall, that if Skandia had survived hundreds of years without a bloody ranger, then she could survive another month.

   So there he was. Walking down the small path from his cabin to the shipyard. He preferred horseback riding, but he would have no use for his shaggy rangers horse, Maple, on this trip. His mare was a chestnut colour and she and him were the best of friends. She was the only one he could talk to without her looking at him weird, most of the time. But sadly, she could not make the trip, so his mother, Abby, would care for his beloved mare for the time being.

   MJ reached the shipyard was was greeted by none other then his Uncle Hal. Hal was overseeing Willy's crew, and he stood with a smirk on his lips as he watched Willy order the Hounds around the ship. MJ was pleasantly surprised to see his little brother taking charge. The boys on his crew seemed to respect him so far, and were doing as they were told. They were almost finished preparing the ship for the weeks at sea ahead.

"He's quite the Skirl." Hal said with a hint of pride in his voice.

"Just like his Uncle." MJ pointed out. Hal grinned.

"He gets it from me, you know." He said leaning up against the railings of the dock. MJ rolled his eyes.

"You aren't even blood related!" He said. Hal continued to grin.

"So? Where do you think he gets it from? Abby?" He scoffed. MJ had to admit he had a point. But he didn't want to admit it out loud.

A Ranger is never wrong. His grandfather and mentor used to tease. MJ thought he was joking at first, but rangers did hate to admit their wrongs. So to avoid the awkwardness, he changed the subject.

"So where is Bente and her love?" MJ said, somewhat dully. Hal glared at him.

"It isn't her fault."Hal said quietly. MJ didn't say anything. He was answered as Bente came leading Sir Preston and his father down the hill. She was caring two bags, the most out of the three of them. MJ noticed Willy go slightly tense as he caught sight of his previous love. Bente avoided all eye contact with Willy and boarded the ship that the Hounds had been assigned too.

***

  Everyone on the ship could feel the tension between Bente and Willy. Willy only spoke to Quint for the whole while they were preparing the ship. Sir Preston got bored at one point and made light conversation with Bente as they waited for the Hounds to finish. When the crew was finally ready, Willy glanced at Hal, who nodded his head once in approval. Willy gripped the steering oar tightly and pulled so the ship slowly began to drift to the starboard side. Javat had already untied the ship and Willy looked up at the telltale, which told him that the winds direction was currently in their favour.

   He glanced at Kerk and Oilge, but the two boys already knew what Willy wanted without him having to tell them. They quickly trimmed the sail so it was adjusted so the wind filled the sheets. Willy felt the sudden change in the ships movement. She became smoother under his feet and he grinned slightly to himself. Hal simply nodded.

"I understand the feeling."He said. "Like you're walking on the clouds." Willy nodded, he was about to speak when he caught Bente and Preston watching them. They were in the bow of the ship, staring in confusion.

"They're talking about you." Quint said to Willy, but the Skirl already knew. Bente's eyes were full of saddness. Willy dropped her gaze and focused on the tiller between his hands. This was going to be a long two weeks.

***

Hey! I don't know why, but I feel kinda proud of this chapter. With Willy being in what seems his natural place and him and MJ getting along. I don't know. Comment what you think please! I love getting the feedback! By the way...I've been meaning to ask, who is your favorite characters out of both John Flanagan series?  Mine...I have a tough time deciding. I love Will, and Halt, and I also love Hal and Thorn. Ugh! Why does he have to be such an amazing author?!? Haha! Thanks for reading, I hope you continue, because things are about to get exciting! I honestly don't know how to end this book, so I'll go on until I feel it's right to end, and I'm thinking even another book afterwards. Anyway, please comment and vote. Love you all!

~Avis