Chap. 24 "I'll let my tits be crazy as they want."

Macie's POV

"My least favorite holiday of the year, Thanksgiving." I grumbled to myself as I walked through the grocery store. I was here to buy some cranberry sauce for tonight's dinner since Niall had forgotten to buy some earlier.

        I loved all the feasting and holiday feelings but I could never like Thanksgiving because of all the awful memories it held for me. Thanksgiving was the day my father left us, and the year after the day I found out he was having another child, and the year after that my grandmother had died. She was the only one left in my family I had any sort of connection with. For some stupid reason, being half-black in my mother predominately white family made me an outcast, but never for grandma. She always treated me as if I was her own daughter and never hesitated to talk to me. I loved my grandma and thinking of her today just made me all the more grouchy. I already warned Niall and McKenzie that I would be acting like this. Luckily they understood.

        The three of us had gotten along quite well, and McKenzie seemed to be getting along with our school group, consisting of Niall, Louis, Shawn, Jenna, McKenzie, and Me. Sometimes random kids would sit with us and we'd talk but they came and go. I was glad to have them all over on Friday nights and we'd do some fun things like play games or have movie nights. I was always out of popcorn due to the boys crazy appetite for the stuff. I made sure to grab some of that too and I scanned the aisles for the ingredient I needed.

"Oops! I'm so sorry!" I yelped as I bumped carts with another woman. I pick up the rolling cans and hand them to her, finally seeing her face.

"Mom?" I said shocked. I stated it as a question but there was no doubt I was standing in front of my mother.

"Macie! Macie, Oh my dear! I missed you so much!" She kept rambling, pulling me into a tight hug. I tensed up, refusing to hug her back. It was so weird to see her again after all this time of avoiding her, not just in reality, but I had managed to keep her out of my thoughts too as I flustered over this holiday. I knew it was a hard time for her, but she had put me through too much for me to care anymore.

"What's going on with you? Are you still with that boy?" She asked, making me angry. She hadn't even bothered to remember his name.

"That Boy's name is Niall," I said with an edge to my words. "And why is it any of your business?"

"What are you talking about? I'm your mother." She waved her finger at me. I was now fuming.

"Really?! Because I just remember you disowning me for being with him!" I yelled at her, scaring another lady in the store. For the first time in a while, I didn't care. I was too pissed. "That means you are NOT my mother, considering the fact that I am still with Niall. In fact we are sharing a small house with McKenzie."

"What?!" She asked, confusion written all over her face.

"I don't have time for this." I sighed and pushed passed her.

"No, Macie. Wait." She practically begged.

"What!?" I snapped at her.

"Please, forgive me."

"Why should I?"

"I made a mistake honey. I thought you'd come back. I thought I was doing the right thing."

"Well you thought wrong!" I started to walk away again but the next words to come out of her mouth caught me mid-stride.

"Your father's dead!"

• • • • • •

        Have you ever jumped off of a swing? You pull and push the chains back and forth building up speed, building up anticipation. Then you finally get to the perfect height so you pop off of the seat and for a few gleaming seconds your whole body is floating in the air. Finally, gravity takes over and slams you into the ground. Your feet smack into the ground and go numb for a while while the rest of you body feels heavy.