Chapter 1

The key to being a successful combat leader is to earn respect, not because of rank, but because you are a man

The key to being a successful combat leader is to earn respect, not because of rank, but because you are a man. - Major Richard 'Dick' Winters.

Move swift as the wind and closely- formed as the wood. Attack like the fire and be still as the mountain. - Sun Tzu

Since the attacks on the 11 of September 2001, many men and women were in and were about to join the U.S marines. Over the decade thousands of marines have been sent to Afghanistan and Iraq to fight against the enemy. Some where able to come home, but not with out horrible memories and some haven't come home at all.

Being deployed to somewhere in the middle of no where is pretty scary but what's the most terrifying is being in the middle of an ambushed, not knowing how many their are or even not being reinforced. Well that's where I am, I am in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan and I am holding out in a building with 4 other men.

We were clearing out a small town for improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the town had run down two story buildings with burnt out cars and rubble all throughout the town. Our group proceed to clear the town, we were all nervous and on edge. We had done many missions like this over time, but this time it felt different. Something wasn't right and I could tell Zeus was feeling nervous then usual. Zeus is my military working dog, since I am a dog handler he will be able to sniff out drugs, guns and explosives.

We continue to clear the town for another 2 hours until we stopped for a break, to radio what we had found so far.

While I was giving Zeus some water, shots rang out. Our little group ran for cover in a near by building it didn't take us long to realize that we had been ambushed and we were cut off from our second squad.

Anderson tried to radio the second squad while we were returning fire but all we got back was static, so he immediately radio headquarters. We were told it would be 24 hours before we could get any reinforcements. After hearing that news the seriousness of the situation set in.

We were cut off and on our own.

The longer we stayed the more intense the firing got, Sergeant Jenkins our squad leader formed a plan to get us out, because we all knew we wouldn't last another 10 minutes in this position. We were to move around 50 meters out of the building across the road and into the 2 story building, were we would be able to hold out till reinforcements came.

"Any questions?" Jenkins asked, we shook our heads 'no' and begin to move. Miller, Zeus and I were the first ones to ran a cross the road while Jenkins, Anderson and Smith provide covering fire.

Once we were all safely a cross the road and in the building the guns shots were dying down but we would still hear the yelling. Anderson kept trying to radio the other squad but it was no use. We were hoping that our other group was safe.