TWO

CHAPTER TWO: THE ASSIGNMENT

ELL-1 opened her eyes to the flashing light of her wrist communicator

ELL-1 opened her eyes to the flashing light of her wrist communicator. She'd been in low power mode most of the night, sitting at her recharge station and resting her mechanical joints. But now, the bright white light illuminated the room and informed her she had an incoming message.

She swiftly pressed the open channel button and responded, "Yes sir?"

"ELL-1," To her surprise, it was General Hux's voice who came through, not Ren's, "Report to the bridge immediately."

Before she could reply, he cut the transmission and she was left in her dark, cold quarters in confusion. Hux never issued assignments, but perhaps this wasn't one. With quick fingers, she unplugged herself from her station and the cord slid back into its place behind the paneling of her neck. Cestus Cybernetics was tattooed across the skin, a reminder of what she really was. Just ones and zeroes with a few extra features.

Slicking her pale blonde locks into a regulation ponytail, she slipped out of her quarters, walking briskly up to the bridge. As usual, humans of all shapes and sizes were busy at work constructing and maintaining Starkiller Base. The superweapon was almost finished, and within a few months, would be operational.

"Sir," She said crisply to the turned back of General Hux, "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes," He swiveled around, his pale features regarding her with almost disinterest, "Follow me."

She nodded, allowing him to pass before she followed behind him. He led her into one of the main debriefing rooms on the bridge, the door promptly shutting and locking behind them.

"This," The General grabbed a datapad and handed it to her, "is your next mission."

She looked down at the device and then back up at him.

"Forgive me sir, but Commander Ren usually issues my assignments," ELL-1 turned her narrowed, probing eyes to him.

"These orders come from Supreme Leader Snoke himself," He bit back, sounding offended she would even say such a thing, "And Commander Ren is busy."

He smirked at the word 'busy' as if he knew something she didn't, "Believe me, I don't take well to our meetings either."

It was no secret on the base that General Hux despised her. Not only because she was merely a droid and therefore inherently inferior to him, but also because the Supreme Leader favored her, sometimes even more than Hux himself.

"With all due respect, General," ELL-1 raised her dark eyebrows, "Emotions have nothing to do with my questioning. I was merely curious about the change in protocol."

"Well," His pale lips pushed themselves into a thin line and he responded with an air of superiority, "It is not your job to be curious. Or perhaps I should contact the Supreme Leader himself to answer your questions. I'm sure he'd be intrigued to know that his perfect little assassin does not take orders well."