Chapter 6: A New Task

For the last two weeks, while Pinkamena was still in phase one of the test, he was gathering information. Criminals, ex-military, possible sniper rifles, the schedule of the killings, anything and everything that was connected to the case was in this folder. Slowly, he opened the folder, mentally preparing himself for the countless headaches he’s about to have.

The second he was about to open it fully, the head doctor he had dismissed earlier ran into his room. He shut the folder and put it back in the drawer immediately, not wanting to risk anyone knowing what he’s working on. Igneous was about to beat him for just rushing into his office, but then he saw the look on his face, and knew whatever reason he had rushed in, was important.

The head doctor was a white male, in his mid-thirties, his name was Melvin Haines. He had short brown hair, which was flat and spiked forward. Like most doctors, he wore clear white glasses. He had a pointy nose under them, which is why he usually didn’t have to push them back up. He always wore a black shirt with matching jeans, with the signature lab coat most doctors wear. His face was scrunched up, with his eyebrows both curved down at the spot in between them. His eyes were wide with shock and worry, panic was written all over his face. Igneous would allow this intrusion, as there was obviously an important reason for it.

“ What is it, doctor?”

Igneous said calmly, as he laid his elbows on the desk, intertwining his hands and leaving them in front of him. Before speaking, the doctor quickly shut the door behind him, not wanting to alert anyone. As soon as he did, he looked at Igneous, trying to calm himself down.

“ I-it’s Pinkamena! She’s waking up!”

Igneous's calm demeanor fell for a second, as shock filled his eyes. But, being the leader he is, he made sure to appear calm. This was surprising, the drug that was injected into her was supposed to keep her knocked out for seven hours, it’s only been four. She shouldn’t be waking up, not yet. It was possible to build an immunity to the drug to the point where it doesn’t affect that person anymore, but not so soon. He had to act quick, if she woke up and tried to break free, then they’d have to subdue her. And any injury to her lowers her chance of surviving the test, and that wouldn’t be good.

“Then inject her with more, she only needs to be asleep for a few more hours, then phase two can start.”

The doctor seemed to get even more surprised, both of them knew the consequences of using the drug again so soon.

“ But if I do that, she might-

“I know! Just do it!”

He didn’t yell at him, he just loudly talked to him with anger in his voice. Yes, the drug was effective, but it had a catch. If the drug is used on the same person twice within twenty-four hours, it’ll increase the nervous system. Which means you'll be far more sensitive, to both pleasure and pain. A pinch would feel like someone was stabbing you with a butter knife. A spider bite would feel like a bunch of maggots are digging into your skin.

This side effect is said to drive a person insane from the immense amount of pain if it doesn’t kill you. Though it does make it feel worse, the injury itself doesn’t increase any. While the pinch may feel horrible, it’s still just a pinch, and won’t kill; it’s basically the body over exaggerating. Before Melvin could protest again, Igneous gave him a look that said,’ this isn’t negotiable.’

Then, he walked out, opening and closing the door behind him. Then, Igneous opened the drawer and pulled out the folder, resuming what he was going to do in the first place. As he opened the folder and began reading, he had a huge smile on his face. But, this wasn’t a happy smile, this was the same smile he gave Pinkamena before he left. That had been fake; it was just a scare tactic. But, this was genuine, he was smiling at his own realization.