𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆

CHAPTER ONE

KATHERINE woke up and the first thing she saw was a few gladers sitting against the wall in front of her. They were either looking out the window or asleep. She turned her head and saw Minho look down at her from the window. 

"Good evening, princess." He said quietly with a weak smile. She grinned weakly and sat up. She had fallen asleep with her head resting in Minho's lap.

"Where are we?" Katherine questioned in a raspy voice. The boy looked out the window as the aircraft was getting ready to land. The boy furrowed his eyebrows seeing what he thought was people climbing over the sandhill. It was dark and they couldn't tell.

Katherine looked out the window as well, seeing the same thing. They heard yelling and gunshots as the people in black army suits began shooting at those people. The two looked at each other, alarmed. "Ok, we gotta go! Move! Move! Move!" The guy inside the helicopter ushered the gladers out of the aircraft. 

Minho stayed behind, trying to wake Thomas as a guard tried to push Katherine towards the large building. She wouldn't leave without Minho. Newt grabbed her hand and pulled her along with him. 

The girl turned to look over her shoulder seeing Minho and Thomas running behind them. She sighed in relief and turned to look at what was in front of her, her brown hair whipping behind as sand twirled all around from the harsh wind. 

The gladers entered a building where Newt let go of the girl's hand and Minho was once again right at her side. Thomas backed away from the closing door, the wind seeming to be sucked outside where gunshots could still be heard. 

From what Katherine could see, they were in some sort of facility, or factory. The girl craned her neck up as her doe brown eyes scanned over her new surroundings. 

A man came up to them with some guards behind him. He stood with his hand folding in front of him and he looked smug. "Follow us." Was all he said before turning around and walking away. Thomas glanced back at everyone before hesitantly following the man. 

The gladers all came to some sort of old storage room, which was pretty big. Minho laid on top of a table, Katherine sitting on the bench with her head rested against his arm. 

The door opened up, a guard on the other side. Everyone stood up from their spots were they sat quietly, trying to take in the fact that they escaped the maze but mourned the kids they lost. 

"You kids doing alright?" The man from before spoke. Everyone crowded the door in front of the man, Thomas in front with Katherine and Minho behind him. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had a bit of a swarm." He explained. 

"Who are you?" Thomas asked the question everyone had been thinking. 

"I'm the reason you're all still alive." The man answered. Minho had joked about him looking like a rat so Katherine and Minho had started to call him rat-man. It had made the girl smile, which made Minho smile. "It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. Let's get you kids squared away." The rat-man said before walking away.