𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓

CHAPTER FOUR

THOMAS and Katherine stayed squished together behind the post as they watched Janson and some other guy walked down the hallway talking about how some lady wanted to talk to Rat man specifically. "Good evening, Doctor Paige. Lovely to see you again, although I admit I wasn't expecting to hear from you so soon."

The two brunettes crouched to make it harder to spot as they listened closely. Katherine's heart pounded against her chest as she saw the same woman who supposedly had killed herself back in the maze. Thomas and the girl glanced at each other as they turned back to listen.

"Change of plans, Janson. I'll be arriving a little sooner than expected, first thing tomorrow." The woman said standing from her desk as she talked.

"Oh, well, I mean, I'm delighted to have you and you'll be pleased with the progress we made. As you can see the results have been extremely promising. Whatever it is you're doing to them in there, it's working." Rat man spoke.

"Not well enough. I just received board approval. I want all the remaining subjects sedated and ready for harvest by the time I arrive."

"Doctor Paige, we are going as fast as we can, we are still running tests."

"Try something faster. Until I can guarantee their security, this is the best plan." Doctor Paige responded.

"Ma'am, security is my job. We're on twenty-four-hour lockdown here. I am assuring you, the assets are secure." Janson explained.

"Have you found the right arm?"

"Not yet. We tracked them as far as the mountains."

"So they're still out there?" Doctor Paige was becoming impatient and Katherine did her best to control her breathing. Janson wasn't helping the gladers escape WCKED, they were delivering them to WCKED. "And they've already hit two of our installations. They want these kids as badly as we do, and I cannot!... I cannot afford another loss. Not now when I am so close to a cure. If you are not up to the task, I will find someone who is."

"That won't be necessary. Might I suggest we start with the newest arrivals." Rat man said. Katherine's heart dropped knowing they meant her group. Her mind raced to Minho and now all she wanted was to get back to him.

"Just get it done." Doctor Paige paused, "Janson. I don't want them to feel any pain." The woman stated, more like ordered.

"They won't feel a thing," Janson assured. As they walked, Thomas's breath picked up which made Katherine start to panic. As soon as they could leave Thomas, Katherine and Aris raced out and Thomas lifted Katherine into the vents and she immediately crawled as fast as she could to the room knowing Thomas was right behind her.