𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒙

━━━ CHAPTER SIX

WINSTON gripped the red door for dear life as Newt and the others grabbed his arms trying to pull Winston out and away from the horrid creatures. Katherine could see their nails digging into the flesh of his stomach, leaving long deep cuts in his flesh.

Everyone gripped the boy's arm tightly, leaning back to pry the teen out of the claws of the monsters. They finally fell back, Minho and Thomas leaning against the door to keep the creatures on the other side of the door.

Thomas yelled for them to take Winston and run. Katherine ran at Thomas and Minho as the brunette boy yelled for the two go. The girl grabbed Minho's hand immediately pulling him with her. Thomas pushed with all his force against the door before taking off after the couple, the zombie-like people falling to the ground, piling through the door after the group of teens.

Everyone sat together, Katherine pulled into Minho's side, underneath some sort of broken cement slab. The small girl buried her face into the ex-runners chest as he held the back of her head with one hand and the other on the small of back keeping her close to his body.

Katherine, alongside everyone else, woke up to Thomas yelling at some bird to go away. The small girl huffed and huddled closer to the Asian's side, his arms tightening around her small frame.

"Are they gone?" Newt questioned, blinking the sleep from his tired eyes.

"Yeah. I think we're safe for now." Thomas answered, looking around the area. "We should get moving. Pack it up." The brunette boy grabbed the backpack off the ground as everyone else sat up, Katherine rubbing the sleep from her eyes and letting her head fall onto Minho's shoulder.

Katherine could hear Winston groan in pain as he tried to sit up, Fry helping the boy up. Minho pulled Katherine up and everyone started walking up the broken cement in a line. As they walked forward, a large fallen city was presented to the group, the harsh sun blinding them.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan wondered out loud as they walked along a path through the city, everyone craning their necks up to look at the burnt, crumbled buildings.

"I don't know. It doesn't look like anybody's been here in a long time." Newt answered from behind the boy.

"I hope the whole world's not like this," Aris spoke up.

"Whoa, whoa, hang on, stop," Thomas said from behind the group. Everyone did as told and looked back at the dark-haired boy with questioning looks. "Do you hear that?" Everyone listened carefully, trying to hear what Thomas was.

That's when they heard it. The low rumbling hum of a berg. "Get down! Everybody hide! Hide!" Thomas yelled. The group crowded under a cement slab, Katherine stuck between Frypan and Teresa.