𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏

━━━ CHAPTER SEVEN

━━━ CHAPTER SEVEN

THE gladers sat around a fire, the darkness coating the desert as they all decided to make camp at an abandoned shipwreck. "I thought we were supposed to be immune," Minho spoke up, his gaze set on the crackling fire before him.

The girl sat against his legs, her head in his lap. "Not all of us, I guess," Teresa spoke up. The silence wasn't uncomfortable, it was more like afflicted.

"If Winston can get infected, we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt declared. Everything fell silent again, no one really knowing what to say. The thought of becoming one of those things scared her. She didn't want that to happen to her but more importantly, she wouldn't be able to stand to think of that happening to her friends. The people she considered family losing their minds to the virus. She couldn't imagine having that happen to Minho. She couldn't even picture herself without him in her life.

"I'd never thought I'd say it... I miss the Glade." Frypan said, a tear rolling down his cheek as memories of the Glade flashing through his mind. Katherine actually agreed with him. She missed seeing everyone alive even though danger still lurked throughout the maze, but at least they were enclosed in large walls that nothing could really get through which was some sort of protection.

Katherine couldn't fall asleep after the fire died out and everyone fell asleep. She pulled herself out of Minho's arms carefully as to not wake him up, and walked over to an area where she could be alone. Where she could think more, go over more memories and cry if she needed to, which she most likely would, more openly without the risk of waking up Minho.

She sat against an old cargo box, her knees pulled up to her chest as her arms wrapped around her legs. There was a cool breeze and it was actually quite cold out during the night which surprised her because of how overbearing the heat was during the day but the world had clearly been messed up and everything was obviously thrown off on the planet. Katherine rubbed her legs, hoping to create friction and give some kind of warmth.

The girl heard footsteps coming around the other cargo boxes and she turned her head and saw a figure walking towards her. "Katherine?" They whisper-yelled in slight concern and worriedness. The brunette instantly recognized them as Minho.

"Hey, Min." She replied quietly. He sat down next to her and wrapped his arms around her and she laid her head on his shoulder. Katherine could feel the cold slip off her skin as Minho warmed her up. She found no place safer than Minho's arms. No place that felt more comforting than in his embrace.

"What are you doing over here?" He questioned laying his head on hers as they looked over the desert, nothing but sand ahead and the faint outline of mountains.

"I couldn't sleep. I can't stop thinking about them." She whispered, tears brimming her eyes.

"Who, sweetheart?" He kissed the top of her head, although he had some ideas.