Chapter 4

"Are you ready? This is your big day!" Nightheart exclaimed, purring at Rabbitpaw. "Your warrior assessment!"

"I'm aware of what day it is." Rabbitpaw laughed, flicking Nightheart's ear with her tail. "And yes I'm ready, but you telling me how important of a day it is is making me nervous."

"Sorry." Nightheart replied sheepishly. "I'm just excited, it's been harder to hang out since I became a warrior. I'm just excited that we'll get to do more together once you pass!"

"If I pass." Rabbitpaw reminded her, Nightheart could see a familiar doubt in the apprentice's green eyes.

"When you pass." Nightheart corrected her. "You're a very sharp hunter, you're small and quick. You'll do just fine, I promise." Nightheart looked at Rabbitpaw with admiration, she didn't look like an apprentice anymore. She was still small, but she was lean and slender. Her pelt was soft and silky and her green eyes as bright as ever.

Rabbitpaw had grown more confident lately, but she still struggled with slight anxiety issues from time to time, and today would be a stressful day for any cat. "I wish Timberpaw could be here." Rabbitpaw sighed, thinking of her brother, taken too soon by greencough on the journey.

"He is here." Nightheart brushed her tail along Rabbitpaw's pelt. "He's watching over all of you and guiding you, and he'll be there to see you become a warrior." Rabbitpaw looked up at Nightheart with gratitude burning in her eyes.

"Rabbitpaw!" Stormheart called for his apprentice, the gray tom was standing with Dustpaw, Leafpaw, Primrosepaw and all of their mentors. Rabbitpaw took a deep breath and bounded over to her mentor and siblings.

"Good luck!" Nightheart called after her, Rabbitpaw gave a cheerful glance over her shoulder and the group of cats vanished into the territory. Nightheart wished she could assist Rabbitpaw in some way, she had been helping with her training all the time now. Stormheart was a good mentor, but Rabbitpaw needed a little extra help with certain things, and Nightheart was happy to help. She was at her happiest when she was with Rabbitpaw.

Nightheart's paws itched to do something now, she hated not having any work to do. She trotted across camp to where Ashblaze was organizing patrols. She stepped in beside Lilyclaw and Harewhisker. AshClan camp was pretty empty since four cats were gone with their apprentices. It made Nightheart sad, seeing how small of a Clan that AshClan was.

Once Rabbitpaw and the others were made warriors, they wouldn't have any apprentices other than Blackstorm for another two moons when Sagekit and Hailkit would become apprentices. Silvermoon's kits were only two moons old, so it would be a while before they were apprentices.

"Since this is all we have right now," Ashblaze mewed while looking over the available cats. "We'll just head over and patrol the SunClan border. Let's go, I don't want to leave the camp empty for too long."

Ashblaze quickly took the lead and led the small patrol consisting of Nightheart, Lilyclaw, Harewhisker, and Ravensong out of AshClan camp. Nightheart felt confident navigating their new territory, it didn't long for her learn the paths and where everything was. She loved their new territory, the smell of the pines was heavenly and the trees towered protectively over head.

The AshClan patrol easily jumped the small stream and soon reached the SunClan border. Nightheart couldn't help but admit that it had been difficult adjusting to life without the other Clans around, but Nightheart liked it better this way. She was grateful that she was away from Falconheart and that Blackstorm was away from Honeyfrost. She didn't know if he was sneaking out to see her or not, but she hated the idea of it. She knew that only part of the blame could be placed on Honeyfrost, Blackstorm was willing getting involved with another medicine cat, Nightheart hated how disloyal her brother was being.